LegacyGT.com

Tein Flex front coilovers shock rebuild options

Well, I got my quote from Tein. $500 to rebuild the front inserts. This includes everything shipped back to me. Oh, plus a month turn around time from when I prepay.

This is 1/3 what the entire suspension setup - both front and rear - costs new!

Has anyone found an alternative insert with threaded collar that matches the TEIN hardware? The dampening on the Teins weren't the best when new plus I don't like the idea of dropping $500 every few years on rebuilds.

honestly, they are not worth the rebuild. Tein uses garbage valving. they are basically a throw-away coilover. once they are worn out, toss 'em. BTW, if you dont like spending $$ on rebuilds, you should never have bough coilovers to begin with. if you think they last as long as a fixed perch shock, you are fooling yourself.

That being said, you can have real good parts put in to them, you just have to find a custom shock builder to do it who feels comfortable using the tein shock body. you will pay a lot for this though, but they will still have to be rebuilt periodically.

The reason I went coilovers originally was to get slightly lower ride with a 450f/500r spring rate.

The noncoilover options drop the car too much and have too low spring rates.

What you're suggesting is exactly what I want: custom rebuild that's great not garbage. But I can't find anyone local or otherwise that gives me confidence.

the kind of places im talking about build competition shocks for competitive racing and autox. You may spend more than a set of new set of off-the-shelf coilovers. you may not have any place local like this. I can give you names of some others around the country who do this sort of thing though.

Archived