LegacyGT.com

Can shift into reverse but not drive

So yesterday I went to live to meet some friend for dinner put the car into drive and got nothing seems like it was in neutral. Reverse works fine. after turning the car of a few times I was able to drive the transmission felt fine and everything. Today I made it to and from work just fine even drove around on lunch.

So after work I went home and decided to do a drain and fill since I just hit 80k last weekend and figured it had never been done. Hope in the car to go to the auto parts store and no drive again...

Took the wifes car to get the stuff I needed did the drain and fill + filter and still nothing.

HERLP!! :confused:

there is a known issue with the 01 auto trans,

slow to engage in drive from R or P.

it may be your issue but usually it develops slowly,

not suddenly.

the ''fix'' for the 01 is to add a bottle, 1 qt., of Trans-X slip stop additive the ATF.

usually you do this with a drain and fill,

replacing a qt. of trans fluid with a qt of trans-x .

the fis lasts about a year,

then you have to do it again.

i hope this is your issue and your fix.

having said that,

make sure your trans fluid is full.

the dip sticks are really hard to read.

check both sides.

check it when cold with the engine off just to get an idea if you are in the ball park.

then check it with the trans warm and running.

wait a while after you pull the dip stick,

so any ATF in the dip stick tube can run back down into the trans.

these dip sticks are really hard to get a correct reading.

tip: the difference between too low and full is about a pint.

other suggestions,

what happens if you shift into 3, or 2 or 1?

any recent work done just before the problem started?

like trans flush? rad replacement? timing belt? leak repairs?

anything that might have involved the trans cooler lines .

3,2 and 1 all do nothing. No work has been done on the cooling or transmission system.

When I check the ATF yesterday after work it was kinda brown so I did a drain and fill. Ill check the levels again since its been sitting all night.

checked the ATF level last night and it looked fine. Today I was able to get it into drive after shifting from N to D a few times. Drove to work (4miles max) and everything feels fine shifts smooth. The only problem seems to be getting it into gear.

Pull the center console n check for change n what not in the shifter, and check the cable and linkage to and from tranny n shifter. I have a good shifter unit and tranny sitting here in Cortland to that I know is good if it comes to buying a new one.

Yesterday after work it went into drive on the first try but was a little slow so I stopped by the auto parts store and grabbed a bottle of Trans-X slip stop drove home checked levels and was kinda low so I added the whole bottle. Ran it through all the gears a few times then let it sit over night. This morning it went into drive smother than ever gonna go out on lunch today to see how it does and check ATF level.

Archived