LegacyGT.com

Head Gasket Replacement

Hi all,

I just picked up a 99 Subaru Legacy 2.2L SOHC EJ22 for 300 bucks with an overheating problem. The head gaskets were blown so ive since torn the engine down & sent the heads to the machine shop. I ordered the felpro head gasket kit with all upper engine gaskets, timing belt kit, water pump & all tune up items. When I get the heads back I will have to put the cam in, cam cover & rockers back on. Whats the procedure for cam re-install & torque info on the cam cover & rockers? I understand you reseal the cam cover with permatex ultra gray sealant? Does anyone know the size of the torx plus bits used on the cam covers? Also when re-installing the cam what do you do about the rear cam seal? Mine is a black cap, it wasn't leaking so I'll probably leave it alone & the kit didn't come with a new one. The front seal you just oil up & press in evenly after the cam cover is installed right?

Another part that I'm not sure about it torquing the heads, I have seen the specs but the first half is for stretching new bolts. I'm reusing the old bolts cause they look just fine so should I skip the stretching steps & go right to torquing the center bolts to 25ft lbs then the rest to 11 then 90 deg then 90 deg again?

Also does anyone have the valve adjustment specs for the 99 ej22 SOHC engine?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated, I'm new to the Subaru World.

Thanks!

• 3 years later...

Archived