LegacyGT.com

Insurance?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's an interesting point, since I've experienced that with Progressive. Substantial rate increases (15-20 a month) with no change in driving record.

I've had them in the past and had this same experience. While they were cheaper again this time around, this history factored into me option to NOT go with them for the LGT.

I've had them in the past and had this same experience. While they were cheaper again this time around, this history factored into me option to NOT go with them for the LGT.

That, and gigantic coverage holes. It's very important to read the fine print! There is such a thing as too low of a premium.

Exactly - I purchased my policy based on the coverage it provided and the limits I wanted (which are way above the minimum required). They price was a secondary point.

This happens to us older folks who have assets to protect. Those with little / no assets generally don't need high coverage limits.

This happens to us older folks who have assets to protect. Those with little / no assets generally don't need high coverage limits.

Depends on what you think is worth protecting. For me, I wanted the security of knowing that I can have a really bad day and, should something extremely stupid happen, I won't have to pay for it for many years to come.

I always ask people -- "What if that Asian woman in the brand new Merc waved you through the intersection and then, in the confusion, decided to go anyway?" The answer is that, even though she waves another driver forward, she still technically had the right-of-way, which means that any subsequent collision with a vehicle is technically not her fault, and, the cops and insurance companies will ignore any protests to the contrary.

So, here you are, stuck with the bill for something you didn't technically do wrong, and your minimum coverage limits are far exceeded when her car is a TL and she's got injuries that need to be treated for the next 36 months. So what do you think happens after your limits are absorbed in the first 5 minutes of arbitration? That's right -- YOU are paying for it! Judgements, liens, and shitty credit are in your future. In some industries, you can lose your job simply by having a judgement against you, and, good luck getting financial aid, or a loan, or, really, ANYTHING until that's all done with, which can take years.

This is why insurance is important : It keeps you from paying for your mistakes longer than you should have to.

I recommend 100/300/ as a minimum for anyone.

Funny side note -- most insurance companies do not draw a distinction between GT and non; rates are identical. The only information contained is that it's a MY200x Subaru Legacy. "4WD" is really the only thing that counts against you (since they think you'll use it to go "offroad") :lol:

My Geico rep essentially listed the corresponding vehicles with the same or similar motors when I exhibited my displeasure with the original quote.:mad:.. all in all I pay $160 a month full coverage with more 100/200k bodily and 100k property I'm required to keep more auto coverage because of my employment. CT based as well for some reason people keep telling me CT insurance is pretty high when compared nationally.

Depends on what you think is worth protecting. For me, I wanted the security of knowing that I can have a really bad day and, should something extremely stupid happen, I won't have to pay for it for many years to come.

I always ask people -- "What if that Asian woman in the brand new Merc waved you through the intersection and then, in the confusion, decided to go anyway?" The answer is that, even though she waves another driver forward, she still technically had the right-of-way, which means that any subsequent collision with a vehicle is technically not her fault, and, the cops and insurance companies will ignore any protests to the contrary.

So, here you are, stuck with the bill for something you didn't technically do wrong, and your minimum coverage limits are far exceeded when her car is a TL and she's got injuries that need to be treated for the next 36 months. So what do you think happens after your limits are absorbed in the first 5 minutes of arbitration? That's right -- YOU are paying for it! Judgements, liens, and shitty credit are in your future. In some industries, you can lose your job simply by having a judgement against you, and, good luck getting financial aid, or a loan, or, really, ANYTHING until that's all done with, which can take years.

This is why insurance is important : It keeps you from paying for your mistakes longer than you should have to.

I recommend 100/300/ as a minimum for anyone.

Having been involved in a major accident (hit by a motorist on my motorcycle) I ended up settling for the coverage limits of the motorist who hit me (which were state minimums). He was young (18), didn't have any assets to seize, and my medical coverage took care of the medical expenses.

Perhaps the situation would have been different had I not had my own medical coverage but going to court with someone who has little to no assets would have just increased my costs with almost zero chance of obtaining anything more from him. It might have put him into indefinite debt which only assured he would never earn enough to pay off an significant award. It was a difficult pill to swallow but that was the reality.

Having been involved in a major accident (hit by a motorist on my motorcycle) I ended up settling for the coverage limits of the motorist who hit me (which were state minimums). He was young (18), didn't have any assets to seize, and my medical coverage took care of the medical expenses.

Perhaps the situation would have been different had I not had my own medical coverage but going to court with someone who has little to no assets would have just increased my costs with almost zero chance of obtaining anything more from him. It might have put him into indefinite debt which only assured he would never earn enough to pay off an significant award. It was a difficult pill to swallow but that was the reality.

See -- and then, there's that scenario. Lives can be ruined less, if at all, for another $20 or so dollars per month. Your future, or someone else's future and welfare is worth the relatively small expense!

Just out of curiosity, those of you who are on the lower end of the rates scale, do you have your homeowners/renters or other assets insured, as well? What are your auto policy limits, if you care to disclose?

Eco 6 MT Premium $ 424.46 per 6 months 300/300 Comp/col

Leg GT Premium $ 58.06 per 6 months(storage) 300/0 Comp/col

Renters attached and $488.57 is 6 month for all.

Funny side note -- most insurance companies do not draw a distinction between GT and non; rates are identical. The only information contained is that it's a MY200x Subaru Legacy. "4WD" is really the only thing that counts against you (since they think you'll use it to go "offroad") :lol:

2005 SUBARU LEG 4D 4X4 2.5GT is how it's listed By USAA since I was 24 years old. I am now 31 and still listed as 2.5 GT.

Archived