LegacyGT.com

DIY Push to Start

This has come about because our Liberty has starter motor issues. Its had an alarm from a previous owner and has been removed by another previous owner and its chop central under the dash.

The guy I bought it off was a work mate(mechanic) and he also could not find the bad starting issue, he had two starter motors because of the problems with the starter solenoid contacts being a bit dodgy he would remove one put the other in while he pulled apart the removed one and cleaned the contacts till the other played up.

I got the Ships with that idea and put in the old relay system, BUT if you had cruise control on and put it in park or neutral the starter would engage. AHHHHH

The car will be used by the daughter mostly so has to be Um... user friendly.

So I thought well why not bypass the vehicle system.

Still used the relay setup but instead of key engaging the solenoid a push button would.

But I still wanted the trans inhibitor switch to work.

Cut and connected START wire to IGN power so when IGN is turned on the start circuit turns on, the button now just earths the start circuit, wha la engine starts.

Inhibitor works as it should. so in drive etc start circuit is not live.

So parts used

relay

inline spade fuse holder and fuse

wire, 4mm for battery to starter, smaller guage to the start button.

momentary push button, cheap one for now. get a flash push to start one with illumination later.

a few electrical connectors.

I only had to buy the button. $9 from Rip Every Poor C Off (guys from Australia will know)

Neaten wiring up with black elecy tape and hide other bits. Done.

Basic schematic

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/newcummers2000/Push%20button%20start.png

So now no starter motor engaging while cruise is on.

Remember I am in Oz so on the right hand side just by the ignition barrel is a coin holder, I covered this with a flat bit of plastic from a toy(Plastic welded) and cut an opening in the top to access the back of the push button.

All sweet, one handed starting. Just need to paint the plastic to a similar colour to the interior.

Archived