LegacyGT.com

low compression still.

hey everyone, as some know ive been working on this project since November. I apologize in advance if it comes off as a nonsense post. I would also like to thank everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

here is a little background. bought the car with the wires to cyl 3 coil pack cut from connector (guess previous owner broke the clip and nub off coil pack), anyways had it "rigged" with general connectors into coil. I searched and bought the connector repair clip, wired up clip according to schematic (help from lgt users on here), replaced coil pack and started the car up. car idled rough, missed when driving occasionally but overall was smooth, just lacked the power im sure it was supposed to have. what caused the predicament im in now, is there was a "rod knock sound" coming from the front of the motor. after searching I found a likely cause the timing belt tensioner. so I ordered a timing belt kit since the car had 124k on it.

changing out timing belt. 1st, id like to not that when beginning the service, I noticed the intake cam 1 tooth off "toward fender" on the cyl 1 and 3 head. I hoped that after changing the timing belt and putting it in correct time that would fix my issue described in the above paragraph. however after it was all put back together, changed the 3 other coil packs, and replaced all 4 spark plugs, and changed the oil... the car started fine. it idled very low (600rpm or so) and when put into gear "automatic btw" I had to keep my foot on brake and gas to keep it running. since I did this service at my friends garage "visiting him anyways" I had to drive it back about 60miles home in the condition im about to explain.

while driving, it almost had 0 power "almost as if it wasn't boosting", backfired through the intake, and would only increase speed in 4th gear (at around 60mph). I eventually pulled over close to home just to check it out. I then noticed downpipe was glowing, part of the exhaust housing on the turbo was glowing (as if I had been auto crossing it for hrs) a sensor bung was glowing as well. I also had the check engine light occasionally flash, then stay on during the trip back.

eventually I got it home, I took it to a shop the next day to verify my timing to see if I had done something wrong. they said the timing was right, but my compression in cyl 1 and cyl 3 was 85/90 and 150's in cyl 2 and cyl 4. my check engine light was only throwing 2 codes, a cyl 1 and 3 misfire. they said they believed I had either a bent valve or valves, or some not seating correctly.

so I pulled the motor, pulled the heads and sent them to a shop. they did their tests and cleaned the heads up. I bought an oem head gasket kit, new oem head bolts, crank position sensor and put everything back together, changed the oil again.

car started right up, but immediately dies. itll rev if I give it gas, but still dies. there is a large amount of smoke that comes out of the exhaust ( similar to the amount of a head gasket) but its blue. blue means oil if im not mistaken which has me worried. heres the thing though, I don't smell any faint oil burning whatsoever. I smell straight raw fuel, almost as if im at the gas pump and just pumping gas onto the ground.

the car has now sat for over a month due to the weather. I checked the compression again this past weekend. SAME NUMBERS THE SHOP GAVE ME! I checked the oil to see if there was coolant or gas mixed in, or noticeable metal. nothing, except I noticed the oil was overfilled ( up to the start of the first twist above the full notch)

im lost guys. I really don't wanna pull this motor again unless I know exactly whats wrong. im out of money on this project, which was the hope I was gonna have a clean dd.

did overfilling the crankcase with oil blow my rings?

how can I test on a compression test if my rings are bad or if there is still an issue with valves?

what could cause it to all of a sudden act like its flooding?

any other help would be appreciated, like possible sensor etc?

05 legacy gt

stock motor, stock tune, replaced up pipe with catless, removed filters in banjos, and replaced turbo with remanufactured stock one from Subaru dealer.

did overfilling the crankcase with oil blow my rings? Not likely, at least with the amount you indicate is on the stick. However you never did anything for the rings..

how can I test on a compression test if my rings are bad or if there is still an issue with valves? You need a leak down test now, that will tell you if you have bad rings, etc.

what could cause it to all of a sudden act like its flooding? This is the 1st issue you need to follow on and find out! If the car is running as rich as a pig like it seems that will wash down the cylinder walls and prevent the rings from sealing with oil. Things that cause real rich conditions are- Bad front A/F sensor (02). Coolant temp sensor, stuck fuel regulator. I'd start checking those things 1st! FYI- The rich condition is why your exhaust was cherry red the 1st time more then likley

any other help would be appreciated, like possible sensor etc?

thanks. I never thought to change the rings for a couple of reasons.

1. with the timing a tooth off, and car now running worse after it was put in correct time, what the shop said made sense to me that something was wrong with the valves.

2. the only code it was throwing before timing belt replacement was crank position sensor, and cyl 1 and 3 misfire after timing belt replacement.

3. when I pulled the heads nothing looked out of the ordinary to me as far as how the piston looked, and the cylinder walls.

I do appreciate your help. ill do a search on how to perform a leak down test and ill do that this weekend after I replace both 02 sensors, coolant temp sensor, thermostat, and fuel pressure regulator. I have enough left over for that anyways. if im still getting the flooding issue after replacing those, ill look into replacing injectors or having them cleaned/ tested.

depending on how this leak down test goes, I may just sell it to a buddy for what I can get out of it. ive really fallen in love with Subaru in the short time I got to drive this car, and seriously been considering financing a newer sti. however, it would be nice for once in my life to have a car im not paying on, and can really put some attention toward.

thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far, and to travrach guiding me to my next step.

Archived