LegacyGT.com

2005 JDM 2.0GT Auto - Throttle Woes

le_sjo

Hi all,

I am somewhat of an experienced calibrator but at the moment don't have access to the maps in my car due to being locked down by a tuner using EcuTek software.

The car is a 2005 JDM automatic 2.0GT which uses the EJ20X engine. Basically the first quad AVCS engine Subaru put into production. And it has DBW. Which is my problem!

So the problem I have is two-fold, and possibly related:

1) Car switches from eco map to sport/normal map above an indicated 70 mph

2) When in sport/normal map, throttle response is far too digital. Slightest change in pedal position causes huge surges in torque.

This makes cruising above 70 mph a real miserable and fuel-consuming experience. Slightest bump in the road and the resulting foot movement causes the turbocharger to spool and no doubt go open loop for the duration.

I have some theories on resolving this problem:

1) Adjust the vehicle speed value it uses to change maps, e.g. raise to 100 mph

2) Re-calibrate the DBW tables for the sport/normal map

3) Damp down the wastegate control at low pedal movements/transients

I'm just wondering if anyone else has come across this type of issue? I've not done any data logging yet but I really should to see exactly what's going on.

I do have an ecuedit licence I could use on the car, but that'd mean calibrating the car from scratch as I can't get to the current calibration. JDM cals are a bit detty in the UK as our fuel is of slightly lower knock resistance than Japan. I could just take a couple of degrees of spark out everywhere at high load from a stock cal I suppose and go from there.

One last thing worth mentioning - car is stock apart from a full exhaust with high flow cat. Previous tuner hinted they sometimes adjust throttle tables when these cars have full exhausts. Sounds a kludge to me.

Thoughts and useful comments appreciated :)

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Archived