LegacyGT.com

Help!New LGT Owner. CEL, flashing cruise issue.

I really need some experienced opinions! I bought my 07 lgt limited wagon about 2 months ago at 62k miles and have since driven it to about 64k.

2 weeks ago on my drive into work early am, moving at about 60 with my cruise on, the CEL pops on and cruise and sport mode begin flashing. The idle was very rough afterwards with hesitation on acceleration. At speed it did not seem to misfire at all.

I take it in to a local garage who pulled codes for lean bank 1 and misfire on all cylinders. Their solution was to replace my air/fuel sensor which appeared to solve the problem. $350

The car drove and idled great for 3 days until the rough idle misfires came back and set off all the same flashing lights and cell.

I called the shop who "guarantees their work" and had them look at it again. I'm told the cleaned the MAF sensor and it cleared up the issue. $0

The car drove great, back to normal, until 2 days ago.

I'm taking it back to the shop on monday but idk what they're going to want to start replacing not knowing if it will solve the problem. And I can't afford a huge repair bill.

I'm freaking out, did I buy a bad car? Ive heard these symptoms are a common issue with alot of lgts so I'm wondering if anyone out there has a definitive solution before I get bent over at the repair shop on Monday... any help is so appreciated!

You will probably have to DX the entire system; inspect your turbo inlet(located at the turbo facing the front of the car under the intake-(double barrel black thingy going across the engine), check vacuum hoses and inspect for leaks, most effective way is a smoke test, the (dare i Say this) "ghetto" way is to spray some brake parts cleaner around the hose connections while car is idling and if there is any "sputter" after you spray some that could indicate a leak point.

-could be a bad MAF sensor.

-you probably will not get a definitive answer because it could be one thing or another.

-have the shop Dx it before they recommend fixing a bunch of stuff. Shops in general dont like to dx stuff, they would rather just replace a bunch of stuff until the problem goes away.

-Also pull the codes (auto zone, Advance auto will have code readers, although their models will have basic code info) you will have a reference point to start your dx.

-I wouldnt freak out just yet. The turbo models need a lot of attention from time to time.

-I would also recommend going through the Maintanance thread, and get ahead of the maintainance/upgrade of common problems before they happen( the turbo oil feed filter, the uppipe cat, the harmonic balancer, securing vacuum lines, etc it will safe you a lot of time and money and you can enjoy the car more.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-rough-idle-cold-start-cold-temps-lgt-07-09-155325.html

Sounds like the o-ring issue with the intake manifold, correct me if I'm wrong. I'd give this a shot before trying anything drastic.

Congrats on your purchase otherwise :lol: Apparently 07 LGT wagons are unicorns. Do lots of reading around here and figure out what you need to get your car into a good state of long-term reliability.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-rough-idle-cold-start-cold-temps-lgt-07-09-155325.html

Sounds like the o-ring issue with the intake manifold, correct me if I'm wrong. I'd give this a shot before trying anything drastic.

Congrats on your purchase otherwise :lol: Apparently 07 LGT wagons are unicorns. Do lots of reading around here and figure out what you need to get your car into a good state of long-term reliability.

Good call! They seem to act up more so in colder weather, too. Plus, cheap fix, even if it doesn't work -- It's like $10 for the set and an hour or so of time to install!

ummmmm i might be looking into this,because i get a misfire on cylinder #4 but only when cold out(40 degrees or less) and my compression is good on all 4 cylinders....I wonder....

Thanks Tris. I contributed! :lol:

Definitely worth a try for the price/time. It says 07-09 LGT, not sure if the issue applies to 05/06.

Easy way to tell if they've been updated on 05-06s, look for the little orange tabs hanging out from the manifold.

Thanks for the advice all.

I tried the carb spray around the intake manifold gaskets test to find out if there was an obvious leak at the gasket with no results. We have had a bit warm weather here lately (40-50 degrees) so maybe the gaskets are sealing better at the moment.

Anyways the wagons in the shop again for the 3rd time in 3 weeks now. I spoke with the owner and suggested it could potentially be malfunctioning Intake Gaskets. He didnt seem to agree but said after hours on the phone with subaru techline ppl he thinks the source of the problem may be the EGR valve not closing properly and letting exhaust recirculate improperly at cold weather idle which would cause the misfire codes. This round in the shop the car is not throwing the lean bank 1 code as it has before....

I'll likely be having them replace the EGR valve and I'll keep you all updated on progress and hopefully one day A SOLUTION!

I was pretty worried about all this at first but after reading countless forum threads and talking with you guys, my love of Subaru is renewed. Thanks again all!

Our Subaru love ails sometimes too.

The gaskets tend to leak on cold days (below freezing) and as the car is warming up, but not when it's fully warmed. For how cheap and easy it is, I'd say you should replace them anyway if the EGR valve doesn't fix the issue.

I'll likely be having them replace the EGR valve and I'll keep you all updated on progress and hopefully one day A SOLUTION!

Tell them to save the EGR to show you the part, because the LGT does not have a EGR :spin:

Tell them to save the EGR to show you the part, because the LGT does not have a EGR :spin:

Haha, youre exactly right travrach/MrTris. The guy in the shop calls me back to tell me, "well turns out the turbo model doesn't have an EGR valve." The guy at the shop apparently "spent hours" with subaru techline discussing a non turbo engine... anyways, They want to keep it for further diagnosis so we'll see what they come up with next. I will be replacing the gaskets with a mechanic friend in the coming weeks.

Haha, youre exactly right travrach/MrTris. The guy in the shop calls me back to tell me, "well turns out the turbo model doesn't have an EGR valve." The guy at the shop apparently "spent hours" with subaru techline discussing a non turbo engine... anyways, They want to keep it for further diagnosis so we'll see what they come up with next. I will be replacing the gaskets with a mechanic friend in the coming weeks.

OK, here's the thing:

If they have to call a Subaru Technline to get an answer for you, your car shouldn't be there. They will most likely do more harm than good at this point. If I were you, I'd take the car home and self-diagnose with the FSM until a proper conclusion can be reached.

Reminds me of the thread below.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dealer-unable-properly-diagnose-problems-81832.html

This was the solution in the thread above, from post #36.

Well, the dealer was finally able to figure it out after corresponding with the Subaru tech hotline. The problem was that intake manifold was leaking! So, they replaced 4 gaskets; both banks at the interface between the manifold and the TGV, and between the TGV and the heads. They figured this out by first determining from the tech hotline that this was a lean misfire, and then by spraying some carb cleaner at the problematic locations and seeing the engine rev.

So, if you have all of the symptoms that I saw, you may want to have your tech investigate the manifold gaskets.

• 7 months later...

Update.

Replaced the intake manifold gaskets a few weekends back in preparation for winter. Sure enough the gaskets were the original faulty design. They actually looked black and burned on the bottom surface as if they'd been letting air through for some time.

Now just waiting for cold temps to find out if the rough idle/cel will rear it's ugly head. I'm feeling pretty confident that it's fixed. Will post follow up once we get some frozen weather fun!

Archived