LegacyGT.com

Walkthrough: replace wagon wire harness

Nice walk-through. I had all 14 wires broken (been putting it off for awhile thinking it was all a corroded ground connector somewhere) but this and the original thread made it all too clear what had to be done. I'm going to butt-splice 12" sections of good wire to each one and then put the good wire within the the flexy-boot, which will also make it easy to repair any individual wire that breaks down the road. I may also need to look at stuff with the driver side harness once I determine what it does.

I may also need to look at stuff with the driver side harness once I determine what it does.

One or two of the wires at least are antenna (maybe separate AM/FM antenna?). Forget what the others are right now..

I have an 07 wagon and the cargo light is more over on the driver side. Sadly the Hayes manual is useless in terms of showing the actual wires. But with covers off the top of the liftgate and the upper liner lowered, things should be obvious. I use my lift gate A LOT and I also have wet stuff back there A LOT and I live in Portland (Drizzle City) so I figured it was all humidity issues, as I've literally had standing water in the backup light housings from interior humidity condensation. I finally put on ventshade deflectors on the windows this last October and it has helped that issue A LOT since I can keep the windows cracked 1/2" all the time now.. Oh the things I should have done 9 years earlier. How will I ever get used to not unlocking the lift gate via a long stick from the back seat. ;-)

• 3 months later...

Great walkthrough. Just finished it yesterday on my 08 Outback. One thing though: if you remove the interior light and open one of the "hook lids" next to it you can access two of the white plastic clips that the harness is attached to the roof with. Makes it a little easier.

Does anyone have any idea what the part number is for those self-locking flat metal nuts that attaches the rear trim to the headliner? I'm missing one. I've been looking all over online but I can't figure it out. It's the flat nut in the photo below.

Thanks!

451490142_Flatnut.thumb.jpg.e71a1cce006b005190e86d1be9d79f15.jpg

Archived