LegacyGT.com

4.44 rpm too crazy for highway?

short story I need a transmission on the quick, i'm still seeking a 6spd swap, I'm losing gears like my kid losing teeth, I found a 98 outback auto trans with a rear diff for $200 with 4.44 gears ratio. I'm currently at 3.90 will this work for my car? can I still highway it? I'll be moving and my commute will be all highway

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I don't know how you would operate a 4EAT without the Transmission Control Unit. You need the wiring loom for the wiring between the TCU and the tranny, and between the shifter and the TCU.

Can you post a picture of what you've got? 98/99 is right on the line of Phase I/II 4EAT, but you should have the Phase I.

OK, you said you have a 3.90, so I thought you had a 5MT. Pretty sure the 91 4EAT had a 4.11 FD (unless it was a factory turbo, which I didn't think was available in '91.) Anyway, as long as the replacement is a Phase I and the wiring plugs match up, you shouldn't have to change anything else besides the rear diff.

Alternately, you could transfer your existing front diff and tail housing over to the new tranny and keep your current gearing. Don't know how much work you want to go to.

My wife's 98 Foz has a 4.44 4EAT, runs ~2350rpm at 60mph with 215-60/16 tires. You can also adjust your final drive a bit by playing with the tire height, if you have the room in the wheel wells to go with taller tires.

ah perfect, yes is a 93 lsi, alot of the same options as the turbo model, but na (well was) and 3.90. That rpm isnt to bad , I have 215/60/16s on right now, but thats my max size.

Archived