LegacyGT.com

Is rtv on power steering pump a bad idea?

Is rtv on power steering pump a bad idea? I'm buying cars to flip and i'm not gonna spend $30 on a rebuild kit for my perfectly working P/S pumps. Both my 97 and 95 leak. Pump for sure on both, not hoses. I have gray rtv which i use to seal transmissions. My 97 has dex/merc and the 95 has P/S fluid.

I figure if Pumps can use transmission fluid it might be able to use transmission rtv??? Worth a shot right? Unless someone here destroyed there pump this way. If nobody has tried. I guess I'll test subject #1

Looks like I have some competition in the Phoenix area for car flips ;) in my experience RTV should only be used to aid in sealing new gaskets, not supplementing or reusing them. If you're going to flip cars, do it right and build confidence in your buyer. If you reuse gaskets, unless they're rubber, you're going to have problems, which translates to problems with the buyer down the road...and who are they going to come after? Richard Rawlings said, do it cheap, but do it right; and that man is the master jew.

For every good story of success there's many more stupid stories of failure. This being one of them...

Removed pump, removed rear of pump, rtv'd the gasket inside. waited 2 hours for it to dry properly. re-installed pump. still leaked. re-removed pump torqued the shit out of dis-assembly bolts. re-installed pump. Still leaks.

Someone had to try

For every good story of success there's many more stupid stories of failure. This being one of them...

Removed pump, removed rear of pump, rtv'd the gasket inside. waited 2 hours for it to dry properly. re-installed pump. still leaked. re-removed pump torqued the shit out of dis-assembly bolts. re-installed pump. Still leaks.

Someone had to try

I knew it...:lol:

Archived