LegacyGT.com

Custom Gauges- Whats Your Preference?

Alright everyone, I did a quick search in the fourth gen forum but couldn't find anything good within 10 minutes so I decided to just ask.

What brand/ type of gauges is everyone using to monitor boost, and oil and fuel psi? I am trying to budget out my current engine build, and want to know what you have done for custom gauges in your ride. Do you think they are necessary? What specs should I be monitoring?

I am ultimately looking for a stage 2/2+ DD, so I don't think I will need anything crazy, but I will let you guys decide on that.

Thanks in advance for the input

GO!

Lots of people run Prosports because they are cheap and they have some models that match the look of our dash. But they are el cheapo and lots of folks have buyer's remorse over getting them after they crack easily or fail too soon. (Ask me how I know. ;) ) I think there's a bit more satisfaction with the AEMs.

Boost and oil pressure are most important for the safety and health of your engine. AFR is another important one. After that, you're getting into more just bling territory.

Thanks for the input guys, I am very glad I asked!

I noticed a disclaimer on AEM Failsafe Boost/AFR Gauge that said it is only to be used in competition vehicles. Is that just because of emissions regulations so AEM can deny a lawsuit if some bonehead gets caught breaking emissions laws in California using this thing to help him log and tune?

I would really like to put one of the Failsafe dual gauges in my car when I move to stage two, but I don't even want to consider it if I am never going to pass another inspection.

Pretty much all aftermarket parts are advertized "offroad use only" for legal purposes so that people cant go after them when the fail emissions using a catless downpipe. however a gauge will not fail you, its totally legal to have

I have an Autometer boost gauge, came with a red light so it matches the dash. No idea if it compares to these other brands but I could get it at O'Reilly so that's all I really cared about. Works fine for my purposes, cost me $70.

I recently nabbed a set of Defi Red Racer 52mm's for a steal, just waiting on my custom pod!

Otherwise I'd have got the Prosport Halo gauges to match our clusters perfectly.

I have the Prosport Halo gauges and they do match the dash very nicely. I've had them installed for over a year and a half now and am very happy with them.

I run all Stack Pro-Control gauges in my 2012 GT, but they are super pricey and only for the garage queen. My 1992 Legacy SS Turbo gets run of the mill AutoMeter SportComp gauges, decent quality and they don't break the bank.

You are correct, op, it's for bonehead liability reasons. You won't have a problem in Massachusetts with that setup. Our inspection laws are actually pretty easy. No visual inspection required, so you could run totally catless if you want without a problem as long as the tune says you're good. (Don't need to do this though, run a high flow cat for the sake of Mother Earth. Minimal power gains without it, anyway.) If the ecu reports no codes, you are all set (in terms of power mods anyway, headlights, bumpers, horns, wipers ... you're on your own for that stuff). Chances are, your inspection mechanic will notice the gauges and say, hey, cool car.

Lots of people run Prosports because they are cheap and they have some models that match the look of our dash. But they are el cheapo and lots of folks have buyer's remorse over getting them after they crack easily or fail too soon. (Ask me how I know. ;) ) I think there's a bit more satisfaction with the AEMs.

Boost and oil pressure are most important for the safety and health of your engine. AFR is another important one. After that, you're getting into more just bling territory.

there based of Tampa,fl so im near prosport HQ and have bought gauges from them,like u mention there cheap and by any means not accurate and i want to say after 10 months of ownership with them on my 03 wrx(middle gauge pod with 3 of them) the would randomly flicker on and off.Just really bad stuff,but in the looks department and outside build quality i guess there ok. I wouldn't trust them to monitor anything in my vehicle,but that's my personal opinion.

Now i do want to praise there relocation kit for the upper oil galley with the oil gauge.The kit is pretty straight forward and comes with all u need and no leaks at all!:cool:

Archived