LegacyGT.com

Tuning Rookie

monkfish

Hey everybody. I want to start putting some mods into my car, an 05 LGT sedan. I've never done this to a car before so I'm trying to learn as much about it as possible before I start doing anything. I think my first step is a Cobb AP V3. If I install the Accessport do I need to do anything at the same time or can I just have the Accessport until the next step? I'd appreciate any other suggestions you guys might have as well/ Thanks in advance guys.

Hello and welcome!

I'm in your shoes too and also just started working on my car. After 10 yrs, 95k miles and lots of reading on these forums I felt it was time. I can say that the Accessport is the first smart step in the right direction for tuning your car. Also do a lot of random searching for terms and questions you may have using the search on the home page. Then when you get stumped on something you can't find the answer to, be sure to post in the right forum. You'll get great feedback from all the helpful folks here. Good luck in your quest for more power. Be careful tho, the modification bug bites hard!!

Hey everybody. I want to start putting some mods into my car, an 05 LGT sedan. I've never done this to a car before so I'm trying to learn as much about it as possible before I start doing anything. I think my first step is a Cobb AP V3. If I install the Accessport do I need to do anything at the same time or can I just have the Accessport until the next step? I'd appreciate any other suggestions you guys might have as well/ Thanks in advance guys.

Accessport will be fine to stand alone until your next step. You'll want to load the stage 1 map. If more power is your goal, here's the order you'll want to go in and remember, with most steps below, a retune will be necessary for reliability and/or maximization of parts. Also, you can stop at any one of the steps.

Uppipe and downpipe

Upgraded intercooler

Electronic boost control solenoid

*****clutch starts slipping******

Aftermarket clutch kit

Higher flow injectors

Higher flow fuel pump

Aftermarket Exhaust*

Cold Air intake*

Upgraded turbo

Stiff tranny, motor, and pitch stop mounts

****engine blows*****

Built short block

External wastegate setup

Exhaust headers

Rotated turbo setup

*****transmission breaks******

PPG gears or six speed swap

Wider, stickier tires to hold the power

Suspension and brake upgrades are now long overdue. You'll need them.

****car gets totaled by old lady who shouldn't be driving anyway*****

You retain the vehicle, part out all the aftermarket parts at 50¢ on the dollar and get a minivan because by this time you have kids and are too old for this stuff.

This is not my story, and there may be some disagreeing with the order I've placed things, but understand this is a very real picture of how things go with upgrading these vehicles. I will reiterate, feel free to stop at any step along the way as budget or dedication allows.

Any questions?

*cold air intake and exhaust can happen any time but they aren't really worth any power until your turbo is upgraded.

^ I :wub: this post.

Feel free to roll a few of those steps together in order to leverage fewer total tunes along the way. Like up/down/catback/intercooler/ebcs and a tune ... then injectors/fuel pump/cai/turbo and a tune ... etc, etc. Stage 1 sorta comes along for free with the price of an Accessport. No additional parts required. But it's also very expensive. There are great ways to do it cheaper if you are so inclined, but nothing is easier or more convenient than the Accessport. Don't forget the suspension goodies and brake upgrades! Check out rear sway bar for a nice bang for your buck mod, but you will need reinforcing brackets on your swaybar mounts in order to stiffen them up or the beefier swaybar will eventually bend and break them. Have fun!

Dujo is absolutely right that certain things can be tuned together to save on cost. Also, the *engine blows* step above can increase in frequency if not tuned properly for the upgrades and not constantly monitored, maintained, etc.

My vehicle has been extremely reliable with every step of modifications its been through, but that's not by chance. I've been very careful and patient with it. I hope my post doesn't scare you. I'm just being real.

Accessport will be fine to stand alone until your next step. You'll want to load the stage 1 map. If more power is your goal, here's the order you'll want to go in and remember, with most steps below, a retune will be necessary for reliability and/or maximization of parts. Also, you can stop at any one of the steps.

Uppipe and downpipe

Upgraded intercooler

Electronic boost control solenoid

*****clutch starts slipping******

Aftermarket clutch kit

Higher flow injectors

Higher flow fuel pump

Aftermarket Exhaust*

Cold Air intake*

Upgraded turbo

Stiff tranny, motor, and pitch stop mounts

****engine blows*****

Built short block

External wastegate setup

Exhaust headers

Rotated turbo setup

*****transmission breaks******

PPG gears or six speed swap

Wider, stickier tires to hold the power

Suspension and brake upgrades are now long overdue. You'll need them.

****car gets totaled by old lady who shouldn't be driving anyway*****

You retain the vehicle, part out all the aftermarket parts at 50¢ on the dollar and get a minivan because by this time you have kids and are too old for this stuff.

This is not my story, and there may be some disagreeing with the order I've placed things, but understand this is a very real picture of how things go with upgrading these vehicles. I will reiterate, feel free to stop at any step along the way as budget or dedication allows.

Any questions?

*cold air intake and exhaust can happen any time but they aren't really worth any power until your turbo is upgraded.

Thanks for this man this is what I needed. I'm going to get the Accessport as soon as I get my tax refund check and get the ball rolling on all this.

Archived