LegacyGT.com

09 legacy exhaust shields

T_Altland27

Quick question my exhaust shields started to come loose so I decides to take them off well I didn't get to far just got the cat undone and another piece those bolts were really rusted as all hell but the the shields are loose or rattling when I first start it up when its cold is at the headers my question is do I need to undo the o2 sensors in order to take those shields completely lose and off the car? I'm thinking they need to disconnected from the car

Do you plan to take them off for good? I would just replace the bolts. In the attached image, I removed the lower heat shields outlined by the box, but not the upper (or top), so I'm not sure if you have to remove the oxygen sensor since that's on the topside.

The attached image is right after subaru replaced my exhaust manifold/front cat under warranty. The heat shields that look shiny and new don't come off. I had a problem with a rattle too, and it ended up being a broken tack weld up near the oil filter. But since you say your bolts are old and rusty, I bet one or two of the bolts are probably just broken.

heat.shields..thumb.jpg.bdf59acda9ce54309089d894eb0b6687.jpg

Yeah I plan to take it off for good last night after my oil change I started the car up and it was cold so it would idle a little higher then normal and when it started to rattle I looked underneath and started pressing on some areas and I found where it was coming from I didn't see any bolts in that are so it could be a tack weld possibly

What area do you think it was coming from? I wouldn't recommend completely removing the heat shields. Subaru ended up welding the bottom heat shields together at the seams for me, which fixed the problem (not shown in that picture). I don't think they could get the welder up where the tack weld was.

1. You can get real large hose clamps to put over it to tighten it down, can be found at any parts store.

2. Have a weld shop tack them together.

3. Remove as you planned, you do not need to remove O2, but you will need to cut the shield above the O2 and bend it so it can slide past the O2.

1. You can get real large hose clamps to put over it to tighten it down, can be found at any parts store.

2. Have a weld shop tack them together.

3. Remove as you planned, you do not need to remove O2, but you will need to cut the shield above the O2 and bend it so it can slide past the O2.

Ok thanks for info

Archived