LegacyGT.com

18" Wheels ?

Steve ko

the speedo would read a bit fast, something like it would read 60 when you are doing 58ish. not terrible but it is there.

as for driveability the bigger wheels will be heavier, which requires more force to get rotating, so while that may or may not be noticeable that is something to keep in mind

I am looking to get some spec b wheels for my wagon, Just curious if the larger wheels would effect the driveabilty or the speedometer reading at all?

Steve

Depends on the tires you buy. Look at http://www.willtheyfit.com/ to get an idea of the impact to your speedometer.

You will have less of a sidewall - so yes, the car will be harsher.

whether the wheel weight goes up or down depends on what you are going from - tires matter there, too. For the speedometer, tire circumference controls that, not wheel diameter (basically, how many revolutions per mile - bigger tires = fewer revolutions to cover the same distance as smaller tires, so the speedometer would read low) - the link provided above, or one of many others out there, will answer that - in a nutshell, as long as you don't go crazy, the difference will be small.

In general, the larger wheel means a shorter sidewall on the tire, so all things being equal, the ride will be firmer - however, a bigger rim with a softer sidewalled tire can feel more compliant than a smaller rim with a stiffer tire - so again, it depends on what you are coming from/going to in terms of both wheels and tires.

I am running 18x8 OZ Crono HT with 245/40/18 Michelin PS A/S3 on my 2013 3.6R...stock is 17x7.5 with Bridgestone Turanza 225/50/17

Current set up (18") is 2 pounds lighter than stock and the rolling circumference is same as stock ...actually marginally different which corrected the speedo inaccuracy the car had when stock.

Ride is a touch firmer, but that is partly due to a larger rear sway bar too.

What DrD123 says is spot on...it all depends on what you put on the car.

Looks like you are driving a 4th Gen wagon?? I had the same wheels on my 2006 Legacy GT where stock was 17x7 and 225/45/17....I ran the 18's on it with 225/40/18....same results as on my 3.6R

Good wheels and tires are the answer if you are switching.

The only REALLY noticeable change is much better road holding/handling :)

Archived