LegacyGT.com

Did I find a cheap source for Tactrix 2.0?

neilbey

They are copies of the real thing. They might work, they might not. If they work, for how long and will they back up the product like Tactrix? Corners are cut in assembly and using the Ecuflash software with this cable is actually against the license agreement. Support a small American company and get a real one. They've invested a lot of time and money into developing their product and software not to be undercut by a knockoff.

I bought a well used Tactrix one time for pretty cheap, got more good use out of it until it broke. I sent it to them for inspection and though they couldn't repair it, they gave me half price on a new unit.

Do what you will, but I like to spend a little more for a company that I know backs their product and has done all the heavy lifting.

Don't do it man. Tactrix invested the time and money into R&D and updates to support the tuning community. I read a bit about the clones on NASIOC, and they are just that, cheap Chinese clones stolen from Tactrix.

Please support Tactrix and not a Chinese company selling a stolen product!

Ok. I'm not too familiar with tactrix as a company - I didn't know they were only USA-based either. So basically this company I found is infringing on some copyrights here... A Chinese company? No way!

I will send an email to tactrix and let them know someone is touting their products as their own.

So apparently I'm not the first to find this knock off tactrix cable. It does apparently work, but I think I will still go with the genuine product if the new vagcom cable I ordered does not work. All their stuff is made in the US (board is built in Washington State and assembled and tested in SF CA). That's respectable for a company to do even if it means higher cost for the consumer.

I sent an email to them, but I'm sure they are well aware of the knock off already.

I'm madly trying to get my vagcom cable to show up on my windows 7 x64 laptop - I've already spent alot of money fixing my turbo.

I know turbo repairs aren't cheap but how much is your time worth trying to get unsupported hardware to work? And when you're having problems, what's it worth to be able to email the manufacturer directly for support?

Support a small American company and get a real one. They've invested a lot of time and money into developing their product and software not to be undercut by a knockoff.

Thanks Joeleodee!

Don't do it man. Tactrix invested the time and money into R&D and updates to support the tuning community.

Thanks BoyceWare!

So apparently I'm not the first to find this knock off tactrix cable. It does apparently work, but I think I will still go with the genuine product if the new vagcom cable I ordered does not work. All their stuff is made in the US (board is built in Washington State and assembled and tested in SF CA). That's respectable for a company to do even if it means higher cost for the consumer.

If you dig around you'll definitely find stories of these units burning up on first use, including failed ECU reflashes. I've even seen sellers on Alibaba stop selling them on one storefront once the reviews get low and open a new storefront to sell them so that they people don't see the failures. Those counterfeit units are based on our circuit design, but they substitute different components and they also grind off all the part numbers from the IC chips with a dremel tool so that other counterfeiters don't copy their design. They also can't be used with newer versions of our software.

-Mike

Tactrix

I've just bought the genuine article from tactrix. I'm done trying to troubleshoot a vagcom cable. I have one (vagcom) for free plus the cost of shipping and handling to any one who wants it. It's the one with the FT232RL chip (apparently that is the one needed for to correctly flash an ecu).

Looking forward to more power! (maybe a bit more MPG's too)

Thanks Mike!

• 3 weeks later...

Does the sticker add horse power to my laptop like they add HP to a car?? That's how it works right??

Update on the Tactrix cable: It works flawlessly. Just plug and go. It's worth paying the extra money for a good product.

WIN_20150314_115553.thumb.jpg.af2b6bef52bbc075596411df0eed5546.jpg

Archived