LegacyGT.com

100k+ 5EAT mostly stock 05 GT codes - prognosis?

dub

My subie just started throwing these three codes two days ago:

P0700 -> Request AT Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) On

P0771 -> Shift Solenoid E Malfunction

P1798 -> Gear 1 Engine Breaks

CEL, Sport & Cruise lights all on / blinking, occurred at low speed when turning out of parking lot, drive way, etc. I've reset the codes twice, and they come back.

The second time this happened the car wouldn't shift out of first gear, despite showing higher gears on the display in the dash in manual mode.

Some of the posts for related codes here on the forum recommend flushing fluids and changing the filter, which I had done earlier today. Cleared the codes after replacing fluids, and was able to drive for about 20ish minutes (including freeway), and all was well. Stopped at the shop, said the codes hadn't come back, and went to turn out and they all came back.

I've searched for the three codes here on the board, but was hoping to see if anyone had experienced these codes as well, and if there was any additional insight to next steps. We've replaced the fluid / filter, to no avail. Checking the connectors is next I think, and this might sound like a rudimentary question, but how do we tell if they're bad?

Oh, and not sure if it holds any bearing, but it's COLD here...

Update: I'm not 100% convinced that the codes were completely cleared using the Android bluetooth / ODB II module. Today I connected my Openport 1.3 cable and reset both ECU & TCU with FreeSSM.

So far the codes haven't resurfaced, but only have about 5 minutes of driving since the clear. After driving some more this afternoon we'll see if it remains clean.

I'd still be very interested in any other experiences with these codes and the outcomes...

The codes came back.

On what may be an unrelated note, the car wasn't cranking very quickly, and I saw that the battery was a few years old, so I replaced it.

Since then I've driven for about 30+ minutes and restarted the car a handful of times. No code(s) yet.

Appears to be gone (I won't say fixed)...

Could this potentially mean the electrical connections (or a subset of them) to the transmission could be going bad, if replacing the battery remediated the codes?

I can't speak to the codes, more searching and I'm sure someone will speak up, but to your battery point. You reset the ECU and codes, since the car had no power. The codes will come back, there is obviously something to be fixed. Hopefully a sensor, but looks to be transmission related.

Mostly stock, what mods? Any other transmission work been done on the car? Any other major issues?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived