LegacyGT.com

Stock 2007 JDM B4 Spec-B legacy Sedan -- how much can it take safely?

I recently took my B4 (2.0T) out for a drive around the hills and spent a good part of the climb close to or at red line and down a gear than it wanted to be (Auto/Manumatic/paddle-shifters) to keep up the torque. Slowing down for corners, only to plant it on the way out.

How much can this engine take and would I have done any harm to it driving like that? Granted the engine was well serviced and warmed up.

What about hard take offs in general?

It sounds like you aren't doing anything other than going for a spirited weekend drive. A well maintained vehicle should be able to handle that without issues. If you drive like this everytime you take the car out you'll probably shorten the engine's life somewhat, but a fun drive on the weekend is fine. Stop worrying and enjoy the car.

Hard take-offs will cause more wear-and-tear on the drivetrain, but having an automatic prevents some of the shock loading that dropping the clutch in a manual transmission causes. Again, if you floor it away from every light you'll eventually break something. Every once in a while you're fine.

Regardless, the saying "gotta pay to play" applies. Drive the car hard and it will wear out faster. Will it blow up tomorrow? Probably not.

Archived