LegacyGT.com

Engine Interchange?

This may have already been answered but if it was I missed it in my searches.

Backstory time: My sister has a 1993 Legacy wagon, AWD with the NA 2.2, pretty good interior and exterior, transmission and drivetrain look to be in good shape as well. About 3 weeks ago I was driving it to school when the oil light came on and the engine started making a clattering noise. I found that if I kept the revs up, the light went out and the noise stopped, so I did this the few remaining blocks to school. I had my dad come and we put more oil in it and it seemed fine, so I started driving home. A few miles from home, the light and the noise came back. I parked it in a store parking lot and we left it overnight. The next morning we started it and the noise was gone, so we moved it a couple miles to my work, where it could stay until we knew what we were doing with it. We finally had it towed home last weekend and we dropped the oil pan to check the pickup tube first, as I'd seen online that they can crack. The pickup was fine, but there were a lot of shinies and metal flakes in the pan. We then took the oil pump off to see if it had self destructed, but the inside looks brand new. But you can see shinies in the oil passages. So we're going to put everything back together and put some straight 30 weight oil in and see what happens when we start it up, but judging by the amount of metal in the oil, I think this engine is done for.

So my question is, what years of EJ22s are plug and play swaps? Anything before 1995?

This makes the third Subaru in our driveway that need work lol. I have a 1999 Legacy Outback that's almost certainly a lost cause with head gaskets, ABS issues, and a wheel bearing going bad. Then I have a 2001 Legacy GT wagon, who's ongoing repairs are chronicled in a thread in the 3rd Gen forum.

Sounds like you spun a bearing or something. If you reuse the oil pump disassemble it. And clean it out.

Good news though. Any 90-94 ej22 shortblock will drop right in! You could drop in a 95 22 or later 22s as long as they don't have egr. But I'd use a 90-95 22 to be safe. 22es are a dime a dozen out here so check the local yards. You'll need new head gaskets and should replace all the timing components while you're at it.

Cool, thanks! The oil pump has been cleaned, I just need to get everything back on. I'm just trying to find one that's from a car that obviously got wrecked, so that I have a better chance of the engine being good. Really sucks because there were dozens of 90-94 2.2s in the junkyard a few months ago, now its all 96-09 2.5s.

The '01 is going to be my car. However, it's funny you should mention the frankenmotor. Just last night I realized that I'd probably be ending up with a 2.2 with a bad bottom end, and a 2.5 (from my '99) with shot heads. I was considering putting them together and sticking the result back into the '99 because I really hate to just get rid of it, all it really needs is an engine and a wheel bearing, other than that it's in good shape. But now I might put that engine with the 2.2 heads in my sister's car, or at the very least go find a 2.5 block since those are a little more plentiful. And then eventually find some 2.2 heads for the '99.

The '01 needs to be finished first though, I've go too many projects.

Also, the frankenmotor doesn't have head gasket problems, right? I'm not really finding anything on that issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived