LegacyGT.com

Broken Hood mount nut/stud

ZMedicZ

Hey Guys. Hoping you can help me out here.

I took my hood off Sunday, to replace my turbo inlet tube and PCV (What a pain in the butt that was, but that is for a different place and time).

When re-attaching hood, the plate that is on the inside of the hood, that the bolts thread into, detached inside the hood. I now have no way of bolting the hood on.

I was thinking about getting larger diameter bolts, and tapping the holes in the hood mount, and the holes in the hood, then feed a new bolt into the mount and hood. Obviously, I wont go longer than the 1" bolts that are in there now.

What do you guys think? Is there a better way? I really don't want to replace the hood!

Thanks guys. Cheers!

Z

Even pulling the engine you don't need to take the hood off. They have a "service" hole for the prob stick that stands it almost straight up. If I were you I'd find a buddy with a welder and get that plate back on there... Obviously trying to realign where it once was

Hey guys. It was easier to take 4 bolts than to squeeze myself into the little opening between the hood and hood holder bar thingy. This was the second time we took it off. More room, more light. The pros outweighed the cons at the time...

Hey guys. It was easier to take 4 bolts than to squeeze myself into the little opening between the hood and hood holder bar thingy. This was the second time we took it off. More room, more light. The pros outweighed the cons at the time...

I wasn't making a dig at your process, just curious. I totally understand the annoyance of having the hood prop in the way. I keep a ratchet strap hooked around the rafters of my garage so I can hold up the hood w/o the prop when working in the engine bay. Best of luck getting it fixed.

I wasn't making a dig at your process, just curious. I totally understand the annoyance of having the hood prop in the way. I keep a ratchet strap hooked around the rafters of my garage so I can hold up the hood w/o the prop when working in the engine bay. Best of luck getting it fixed.

I didn't take it that way at all! It was just nice being able to crawl all over the engine, especially when replacing the turbo inlet and PCV like I did.

I was hoping you guys would have a solution for me!

• 2 weeks later...
Or did you mean the but broke off and now you CANT get it out? If thats the case fish a but up inthere and use the pressure from bolting it down to hold it in place. I've had to do this a few different times in scenarios similar to this where a welded but broke off inside. See if u csn cut into the area to stick a finger in the back side

can you not access the part that broke loose inside the hood? if you can catch it, get a bolt started in one of the holes, then through the other get some JB weld or similar adhesive in there to tack it in place, then get a bolt into the second hole to line it up properly and pull it into place - let the adhesive cure, then you should be ok getting the hinge back on - I would recommend removing the hinge from the car and mounting it onto the hood off the car (more manageable when you aren't trying to manhandle the hood into place)...

Or did you mean the but broke off and now you CANT get it out? If thats the case fish a but up inthere and use the pressure from bolting it down to hold it in place. I've had to do this a few different times in scenarios similar to this where a welded but broke off inside. See if u csn cut into the area to stick a finger in the back side

Yeah, the piece inside the hood is rattling around inside. Im assuming it is a plate with threaded sections for the bolts to bolt into.

That sounds like a good plan. I do intend on continuing to remove the hood while doing work on my car, so I want to ensure it is secure. . I know some of you are going to flame me for this, but that is what i'm doing, so theres all there is to that.

can you not access the part that broke loose inside the hood? if you can catch it, get a bolt started in one of the holes, then through the other get some JB weld or similar adhesive in there to tack it in place, then get a bolt into the second hole to line it up properly and pull it into place - let the adhesive cure, then you should be ok getting the hinge back on - I would recommend removing the hinge from the car and mounting it onto the hood off the car (more manageable when you aren't trying to manhandle the hood into place)...

That sounds like a great plan with the JB weld, thank you for that. I just hope there was no damage to the threads on the plate, cause then im into a whole 'nother bag of worms.

Archived