LegacyGT.com

Gear Shifter Stiff/ Now, Not Working (loose)

Hi all. Haven't been on the Forum for a few months as I'd been using my neighbour's Ford van. Now that it has died from electrical issues I'm hoping to survive on my beater of Subie. Ugly as heck but it's still a great car.

It had been stored outdoors at my friend's house, Sept-Feb (not driven). He drove it 90 minutes (to my city). The gear shifter (automatic) was VERY hard to use; male friend had to move it through the gears for me. Car ran great except for this issue. Then this morning, I managed to drag it into Reverse but could not for the life of me get it back into Drive. Friend came out and managed to at least return the car to my driveway (thank God). But now something appears to be broken (the shifter just slides through all the gears as if it's one vertical channel). I'm thinking the friend really applied a lot of pressure to move it so maybe something snapped.

My question: As a total Newbie, is there anything I can be trying to eyeball under the car or is this going to involve some major work and expense? If it's going to involve a tow somewhere then I'll buy a BCAA card as those take 48 hrs to be activated. If something that could be looked at in my driveway, then of course I'd rather save the $100 to put towards repairs.

Would really appreciate some advice, related links to read, etc. Much appreciated. Thank you.

Seeing as how I have two non-running cars in my driveway right now I've decided to donate my old Subie to the Donate-A-Car program (Canada). Can choose which charity will benefit from any profits in its sale (recycling for mine). My car's exterior is ugly as heck but it has many new engine parts and great interior; hopefully someone will benefit.

Just can't deal with having the Beast any longer. Almost 5 years since a complete stranger gave it to me when I was very much in need of a vehicle, any vehicle. It's been a wonderful car and I wouldn't hesitate to own one in the future. Just no funds available for fixing linkage issues, towing fees, labour etc, so will focus on repairing my Ford van (2000) and learning more about it now, just as I did with the Subaru almost 5 years ago.

This forum has been the BEST community for helping me understand and learn so many car-related skills - from simple tools to use, McGyver fixes, manuals, help with choosing parts, diagrams, tutorials, encouraging messages and more. I even managed to fix my own heater fan and replace an alternator - not bad considering I'd never done any automotive repair work in my life before having the Subaru. My efforts have inspired other women friends of mine, so that's another positive result of this site. THANK YOU, to all the members of this forum. You were very appreciated. I won't be on here any longer as I won't have a Subaru soon. Sad, but it's come full circle and it's time for someone else to benefit from the car.

Best wishes ~ Leslie, aka Liberty10

Archived