LegacyGT.com

first Subaru, 1999 Legacy L, and a question

Bought the car yesterday and drove it home, 140 miles, and love it. But, I'm leaking I believe transmission fluid.....can smell it faintly when I stop and finally saw a little smoke when I popped the hood earlier. These cars are a completely new beast to me and I'm clueless looking under the hood. It could be oil, but the transmission fluid was low when I checked it. Just trying to figure out what to be looking for until I can get it to a dealership. Either the one I bought it from or another almost as far away. Thanks for any help; really liking this forum so far.

usually ATF does not leak and cause smoke, but maybe.

check the ATF cooler lines that connect to the radiator below the battery.

what does it smell like?

burning gear oil?

chcek you axle CV boots.

if they are torn they will fling grease onto the exhaust and smoke.

this is WAY more common than leaking / smoking ATF.

park over a piece of cardboard and see if you have any drips.

I just fixed an atf leak on mine. If it is leaking onto the ypipe under the diff check the hose clamps where the hard line from the tranny goes to rubber, and then back to hard pipe, will be on driver side behind the engine pretty much above the front diff, under a mess of a/c hoses heater core hoses and a wire loom. Mine was leaking and dripping down onto the exhaust.

Also check the ones farther forward by the radiator mine had gotten old and blew a small hole and sprayed onto my manifold.

Agreed on the cardboard drip test let it run a couple minutes and wait for a drip to show up. Mine was a pretty bad leak so it was easy to find. You may end up wanting to put the front end up on stands and lay under it while it runs after the drip test so you have an idea where to start looking. it makes pinpointing the leak a lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived