LegacyGT.com

Help! CV joint popped out during strut install

rrobe99999

I am in need of some quick advice. I am currently swapping my Outback to Legacy shocks and struts. While working on the front. The CV half shaft seems to have popped loose at the differential. The boot is all distorted and I can't get the spindle back up into the proper position. I have the other side of the car on the ground, and I can rotate the half shaft while the diff side stays put. I just can't seem to get it lined up right to pop back in. Please offer advice on how to fix this. I just replaced this half shaft one month ago and wish I had done the struts at the same time.

You say the boot is distorted, can you turn the wheel side of the shaft while the diff side stays still? I have actually seen that inner joint come apart inside the boot before. If that's the case it's off to get a new axle.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the inner joint popped loose inside the boot. I removed the CV axle and tried to rebuild following the walk-thru thread. This is a Cardone axle and it does not have the retaining ring inside the cup. Apparantly, the cup is crimped down after assembly, and I cannot get it back together. So I am off to the parts store to get a replacement.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the inner joint popped loose inside the boot. I removed the CV axle and tried to rebuild following the walk-thru thread. This is a Cardone axle and it does not have the retaining ring inside the cup. Apparantly, the cup is crimped down after assembly, and I cannot get it back together. So I am off to the parts store to get a replacement.

Sorry to hear it, but at least you know what you have to do.

I pulled apart a replacement Cardone axle doing a clutch swap. Replaced it. Almost did the same thing doing ball joints, but managed to spin the axle and push just right so it popped back into place. It's held up fine since.

I made "plugs" from my old axles so I can just remove the actual axles if I ever need to do extensive work again. As long as you're careful with the seals you should be okay. I've had them removed three or four times before ripping a seal due to carelessness.

Archived