LegacyGT.com

Is this rust bad?

Been toying the idea of going to take a look at this SUS.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4879641090.html

The seller says there is no other rust that what is visible in the pics (which I feel I can repair). However (directed to those you with Subie's in the rust belt) is it typical to have rust in more important structural areas underneath (like front or rear sub frame) when the quarters rust like this?

Otherwise, sounds like it might be worth a look for $900 (even though I am not in the need for another car right now). Owner says he has replaced the headgaskets and the car drives well.

I'm not sure if the entire exhaust or just part of it needs to be replaced.

Ouch! That is repairable, but will require a lot of work to do properly. The professional way to fix it would be to cut out a panel from a donor vehicle and weld it on and go from there. I'm not a pro, but I did take a couple of community autobody classes.

The undercoating does a good job of keeping the body from rusting underneath but you'd have to crawl under there and take a look of course. The subframe components will probably be a little rusty but usually just look bad although they are fine structurally, at least in the case of my 95 L. But I do remember a guy posting that his components were just crumbling away.

What sucks is you really have to make sure you cut all the rust out because even a tiny bit will lurk underneath and come back. It's a bummer since I repaired my wagon and some rust is bubbling back up on my rear quarter. But I didn't do any welding.

Seems like an ok deal for a good running vehicle though. If I was going to do it again I'd go the junk hard and cut out panels and pay a pro to weld them on and I'd do the rest, but I think it would be $1500 or something crazy.

Thank you. I've done similar repairs cutting out what I could and pop riveting in new metal and they seem to last for a few years, at least. In those cases (like on my Nissan truck) I had a little more surrounding metal to work with.

I was mainly wondering if, by the time the fenders rust this bad, woudl there alsdo be structural rust issues that aren't easily seen.

In comparison, we bought a 2005 Impreza (from PA) a year ago and it has two very small bubbles at the rear fenders, but the front subframe was nearly rusted through at one spot on the drivers side (luckily it was easy to replace once I got the bolts loose). The rear subframe is rusty, but appears solid, while the backing plates for the front brake rotors literally crumbled apart when i replaced the rotors.

other than price,

what do you like about the car?

wheels

bumper

leather

sedan

not the ej25 that blows head gaskets?

i don't buy rust.

it is too easy to find even if you did not knowingly buy it.

killer rust areas,

rear strut bolt holes.

but this is rare.

That's the way mine looked, and it was from Fauquier Co. Va. Then a deer hit me and just shredded my rear quarter panel, revealing a lot more rust than I thought I had. That's the SUS right? I did like the look of them, but I needed an Estate.

I do like it because it's an SUS (especially the higher ride height). I heard more back from the owner (on why it needs an exhaust system. Per the owner "whole exhaust it fell off at college her daughter left it there brought the car home went back to college left the car home". Wow- I wonder what it would cost to replace the whole exhaust- probably why he priced in at only $900.

I'm not going to bother looking at this one. If the whole exhaust system "fell off" or was ripped off, there is the cost of replacement parts plus whatever might have gotten damaged when it came off. Chances are the floorboards might still be solid, but the exhaust likely succumbed to rust, and the suspension, brakes, and subframe are likely pretty rusty too.

Even if I could do all the work myself, likely the cost of the car would go over $2K without dealing any other potential issues it might have.

Archived