LegacyGT.com

looking to buy first Subaru

JeremyLee

Hi, my name is Jeremy Williams and I live in south Mississippi. I was recently in a wreck and need a used vehicle and have a limited budget. I've always had either a Ford or a Chevy and don't know much about imports. Just need some input. Here's what I'm looking at, and the Carfax looks good to me too

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=39440&endYear=1999&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1999&makeCode1=SUB&searchRadius=100&maxPrice=5000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BSUB%5B%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=383082671&Log=0

It has a Phase 2 EJ22 2.2L. One thing to look out for is if it has had its head gaskets done yet. I don't believe it's as common to fail on the Phase 2 2.2L as the 2.5, but that would be the first thing I would want to know. Check the heads for oil seeping from the gasket underneath by the exhaust manifold. That could cost you over $1000 to fix if they blow, so deduct for it if you feel uncomfortable. Next item is the Timing belt. This is about the mileage to replace the timing belt for the second time. see if it's been done, if not, that's about 1 $4-600 job here in VT (depending on who you go to). Deduct for that as well. what other questions do you have on this? Wish we could buy cars that old as free from rust as that...lol

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the forum.

The 2.2L in that car is known for lasting a really long time, and doesn't have the common head gasket issues of the 2.5L non-turbo Subarus. In general it looks pretty decent, but I would do the same type of inspection you would with any higher mileage used car: look around the engine / trans / differentials for leaks, drive it and makes sure there aren't any strange noises or shakes, etc.

Rusty quarter panels can be a problem on 90s Subarus, but if the car has been down South it's whole life it shouldn't be a problem.

I can't comment on the price because I've never shopped for a 2nd gen Legacy. Maybe look around the 2nd Gen Legacy Forum on this site for price info and common problems with that model.

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the forum.

The 2.2L in that car is known for lasting a really long time, and doesn't have the common head gasket issues of the 2.5L non-turbo Subarus. In general it looks pretty decent, but I would do the same type of inspection you would with any higher mileage used car: look around the engine / trans / differentials for leaks, drive it and makes sure there aren't any strange noises or shakes, etc.

Rusty quarter panels can be a problem on 90s Subarus, but if the car has been down South it's whole life it shouldn't be a problem.

I can't comment on the price because I've never shopped for a 2nd gen Legacy. Maybe look around the 2nd Gen Legacy Forum on this site for price info and common problems with that model.

Local machine shop I work with says they see the Phase 2 EJ22's come in for head gasket work about half as much as the 2.5L, but that could be related to the fact that the engine was only in the US for 3 years - (1999 Legacy 2.2L and 1999-2001 Impreza (Excl. 2.5RS)).

Thanks guys. I'm planning to drive down tomorrow and check it out. I really didn't know what to look for. The car has spent most of its life in Pennsylvania, and the last few in Florida looks like. Carfax shows records for quarterly tune ups and maintenance. It's extremely helpful to know what to look for. I can shop for classic Mustangs all day long, but I feel like I'm buying my first car again, since I don't know much about these.

Though probably unlikely down there, make sure that the car came with the 2.2L from the factory, if not, what we both said above could be wrong. On the diver's side firewall under the hood by the fender is a plate with the original engine stamped into it. If it says EJ22, you should be fine.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01556.jpg

The different engine code happens because someone might have decided to replace a Phase 1 2.5L with a Phase 1 2.2L because they are more reliable.

Seeing how it is a Legacy L, this shouldn't be a problem, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Ok, bought the car. It is an ej22. Now I have lots of reading to do. Drove 140 miles home, and I love it. It does have a vacuum leak somewhere and I can smell oil faintly when I stop. I haven't seen any leaks or drips, so I am gonna have to search for that, but I'm happy with it so far.

Congrats on the new car. The first thing to check for an oil smell would be the oil pressure sending unit, which is right under the alternator. Also, check the valve cover gaskets, as they do tend to leak. Make sure to get a complete valve cover gasket set if they are leaking and REPLACE EVERYTHING THAT COMES WITH THE KIT. Other than that, check for your regular oil leak culprits from any other car.

Archived