LegacyGT.com

Over filled with Oil

good day.

I had my oil changed last week, trust the mech who does the work and didnt bother checking. I drove the car about 300km i had some ideling time at a drive through. car ran perfect no issues.

I check my oil every week as its something i got used to from my honda. Well the dip stick was full of oil. Now this really pissed me off because i didnt quite understand how a mech would over fill an engine like that. I took the car back and he drained about half L or so and im still about 5mill over the full hole. Im taking the car back and getting the issue addressed.

Im really worried about the complications this may have cause my engine if any. I have been reading online about over filled engines. some have had nightmare some have not. I would fix the issue in my driveway... but snow does not help the issue.

doesnt help that im going on a 500k trip one way tomorrow.

Any feed back would be greatly apriciated.

So if he drained out 1/2 litre and you were still 5 mill over the full mark, I don't think there will be any long term damage. I wouldn't worry about anything under 1/2-3/4 a litre overfilled.

I don't know about the 3.0r's, but I know the dipsticks on the 2.5's are funny. One side of the dipstick will read as much as 3/4 litre higher than the other side from my experience.

It looks like the total capacity of the 2009 3.0r is 5.5 litres, so my guess is that he added 6 litres of oil, and there was probably a little residual oil in the engine to maybe bring the total up to 6.2-6.4 L if I had to guess.

*Doing a little extra research to see if anyone possibly knows what the overfill tolerance is on the 3.0 H6, and I haven't found the answer yet. But I did come across people saying that the dipsticks on H6's are just as bad as on the H4's, must be a horizontally opposed engine thing.

thanks for the reply guys.

I think he did add 6 maybe a tad over. ive been reading up one the negativity of over filling and crank gasses. I ve been tripping quite hard and a part of me still quite hopes that nothing bad happened out of this. ill go back tomorrow and have another .5liters removed just for the sake of it/

in the evening ill be heading to montreal. I really dont want any issues with this car. owning 2 subbies isnt cheap.

So if he drained out 1/2 litre and you were still 5 mill over the full mark, I don't think there will be any long term damage. I wouldn't worry about anything under 1/2-3/4 a litre overfilled.

I don't know about the 3.0r's, but I know the dipsticks on the 2.5's are funny. One side of the dipstick will read as much as 3/4 litre higher than the other side from my experience.

It looks like the total capacity of the 2009 3.0r is 5.5 litres, so my guess is that he added 6 litres of oil, and there was probably a little residual oil in the engine to maybe bring the total up to 6.2-6.4 L if I had to guess.

*Doing a little extra research to see if anyone possibly knows what the overfill tolerance is on the 3.0 H6, and I haven't found the answer yet. But I did come across people saying that the dipsticks on H6's are just as bad as on the H4's, must be a horizontally opposed engine thing.

from the vehicle manual the h4 has a high, low and a notch in the dipstick. the h6 just has the highs and the low.

Archived