LegacyGT.com

Test Drive Woes

We don't get many Legacy GT wagons for sale here in Nashville, let alone in my price range (under 10,000). But I found two within the past month...and each had a similar issue after I drove them.

The first one shifted funny and had bad turbo lag, which I knew wasn't normal. Towards the end of the test drive, clear white smoke started coming out of the intercooler scoop. I opened the hood after I got back to the (very shady) dealer and the smoke still was coming out, looking like it was from the head gasket maybe? Needless to say I didn't buy the car.

But today I test drove another one. This one drove great, looked great and I was loving it. But after I got off a two minute drive on the highway and was headed back to the dealer, the white smoke thing happened again. But this time it looked like it was coming from the right front.

I didn't drive either car too hard, didn't use the manual shift function (both were automatics) so I didn't get it to redline, and I was barely on the highway with either. I drove it about how I drive my daily car (a VW wagon)

Is this clear white smoke thing normal on these cars, cause this seems really weird that I would drive two cars and they would do the same thing. :spin:

Both have issues with the turbo and they're getting ready to take the motor out with 'em. That's a thing with these cars -- Turbo goes and takes the motor with it.

From what you describe, my guess is both of those have issues with the turbo oil seals.

great. I feel sorry for the next person that buys them. I've had so much trouble with this VW since I totaled my Forester last summer that I don't want to get into anything else that may have an issue. Thanks!

great. I feel sorry for the next person that buys them. I've had so much trouble with this VW since I totaled my Forester last summer that I don't want to get into anything else that may have an issue. Thanks!

Read the threads in this forum for that particular Generation Wagon. Arm yourself with as much education on these cars as you can before you buy.

Edit:

a pre-buy inspection done that Includes a Compression test. A good number of these cars are dumped off at smaller Dealerships right before the turbo, or engine, or both are about to grenade. Banjo bolts need to be inspected and the filters inside them need to be removed or replaced, Highly recommended to get the car off stock tune, and checking and changing the oil on these cars is must! No Mobil 1 synthetic EVER!!!

GOOD INFORMATION HERE FOR NEWBIES TO READ. #10 is the key to LGT Ownership Bliss...http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/lol.gif

*stolen from BarManBean's post...http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/lol.gif

A lot of folks here seem to be asking the same questions, but in the wrong way. Questions seem to include bashing of the '05 model year, bashing of stock turbos, oil lines, blah blah blah, but all are asking what to do to increase reliability of the LGT drivetrain+. I'm interested in putting together a list of "reliability modifications" for LGTs. I'll start off, please chime in and I'll change the original post to reflect input.

1. Remove cat from up pipe, if necessary (05/06 model years included cat in up pipe)

• Any up pipe that fits an 02-11 STI will fit your 05-09 LGT (though not all of these pipes will necessarily be catless)

[*]Install upgraded oil lines (Infamous products recommended by many)

[*]KillerB oil pickup to prevent starvation

[*]Check/top off engine oil on every fill up. (yes, this is a 'mod'. if you don't do this you won't get much sympathy when your turbo dies due to oil starvation. these engines eat oil, get used to it)

• Do an oil analysis (i.e. Blackstone) once you settle on an oil/filter combination that works for you. Should confirm that you OCI is adequate.

[*]For those with automatic transmissions, drain/refill transmission fluid every 5-7k miles...Alternatively, complete a full 5EAT DIY flush once every 30k miles--this may be easier since it's only once every couple of years for most people (DIY Flush info here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...sh-197248.html.)

[*]Let your engine/oil/other fluids warm up before you race a civic. for rationale please see notes from #4. it's a mod, don't be a 'tard.

[*]Drain/refill differentials every 30k miles. For 5EATs this will include both the front and the rear differentials. For 5MTs this only applies to the rear differential (front differential shares fluid with the transmission).

[*]Replace timing belt, tensioners, water pump at or before 105k miles.

[*]Flush brake fluid every two years (at a minimum)

[*]Stop driving your car. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/lol.gifhttp://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/lol.gifhttp://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/lol.gif

Other potential "trouble spots" that are not "reliability related":

1. Disconnect DRLs to prevent shortened headlight lifespan
  2. Inspect fuel lines for deterioration.
  3. CV boot under downpipe, recommended to check regularly (i.e. during oil changes) for wear.
  4. OEM LCA bushings known to tear; many aftermarket replacements available.
  5. Replace swaybar endlinks with aftermarket parts to reduce "clunks" in the front end.
  6. A new tune (pro, e-tune, AP) can help to prevent burned valves
  7. Install guages for oil pressure/temp and boost to track any significant changes and diagnose problems as they arise.
  8. Check wheel bearings prior to 100k miles / 8 yrs. Subaru will replace noisy bearings through these service intervals under warranty.

Last edited by JmP6889928; 06-06-2014 at 06:17 AM..

The list above was provided by BarManBean's by way of JmP's thread. There are a great bunch of guys on here with a wealth of knowledge pertaining to the LGT's. read up! :)

Honestly man don't buy a fourth gen LGT. Or any used 2.5 turbo Subaru that has more than 30k that you aren't planning on, at a minimum, completely rebuilding BEFORE it dies. Subarus like this are either for the brand new buyer that sells well before 100k or the guy that gets his hands dirty on it every weekend and has a spare block in the garage, for everyone in between its a risky buy.

Thanks all, I should have searched this forum further, I've been lurking in the shadows here for years. I was just so excited to find two that I didn't quite do my research. The car I drove today drove fine, so hopefully its nothing serious.

Yeah last thing you want is to buy a car then spend damn near the value of the car to keep it on the road. I wouldn't fully tell you forget this gen, just be careful as these women are extremely needy at times if they been with the wrong owner all this time.

FWIW I'll chime in being a new off the lot owner of a WRX and a 'gently used' owner of a 4th gen. The WRX broke a few times with total repair bills in the $5k area, the dealer covered it. The LGT has broken a few times with total repair bills in the $4k area, out of pocket. I get my hands dirty every few weeks and the list of todo's continues to grow. Don't get me wrong, I love the car... which keeps me at the table like a bad poker player.

FWIW I'll chime in being a new off the lot owner of a WRX and a 'gently used' owner of a 4th gen. The WRX broke a few times with total repair bills in the $5k area, the dealer covered it. The LGT has broken a few times with total repair bills in the $4k area, out of pocket. I get my hands dirty every few weeks and the list of todo's continues to grow. Don't get me wrong, I love the car... which keeps me at the table like a bad poker player.

Yeah once the engine goes in I got a shit ton of stuff I need to do suspension all around.

Archived