LegacyGT.com

First blackstone oil report on new motor. Thoughts?

If this is a new motor, there's nothing to be concerned about. I did my first Blackstone with 10k on the motor after the second oil change, and it still had high metals. I have done one every 10k since. The metals were pretty much gone at 20k, and every analysis since has looked good. Doing another at the next oil change when I hit 50k. I have been doing 5k OCI since new with little to no viscosity breakdown using Castrol Edge 5W-30. I am also on a Stage 1 tune for the 20k miles.

So - they see these reports all the time and are arguably the experts.

What was your break in procedure like?

I totally believe them, just never had a new engine so I wanted to make sure it was normal.

Break in was run the engine till it was warm on dino oil and do a change w/ conventional & filter. Then drove ~50 miles stop and go under 4K and did another oil and filter change with T6. I drove on this oil keeping it under 4k RPM but still giving it some boost and engine braking until there was 1,000 miles on the motor and then drove the remaining 2,000 miles normally.

Fuel dilution isn't sky high at 1.5%, but it's high enough that I think it's causing a couple issues. The elevated fuel dilution is definitely causing the low flashpoint, and in my opinion contributing to the elevated wear metals as well.

How many miles are on this engine right now?

As blackstone notes short trips aren't very good for oil. When the engine doesn't get up to operating temperature for a long time, especially in the winter time, the oil doesn't get hot enough to burn off any water or fuel present in the oil. Another problem is that when water and fuel do get mixed in your oil, they create acids which reduce the amount of active acid neutralizing agents in your oil. Even if you do get the oil hot enough to burn off water and fuel that has gotten into the oil, the acid byproducts are still there, and have reduced the TBN (total base number) of the oil. TBN is a common way to measure how long your oil is good for, it's a measure of how much acid neutralizing agents are left in your oil. Some say that the TAN (total acid number) of an oil should never exceed the TBN of an oil, because that means the oil is no longer able to effectively neutralize acid in the oil, which leads to sludge and other bad stuff.

Amsoil has a very good TSB which provides an overview on fuel dilution.

https://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/MotorOil/TSB%20MO%202004-07-02%20Fuel%20Dilution.pdf

I would continue to use the rotella though. HDEO's (heavy duty engine oil) like rotella are good oils to use when you have fuel dilution. Fuel dilution is more common with diesel engines, so HDEO's are designed and tested with fuel dilution in mind.

If you continue testing, it would be interesting to see what the fuel dilution is on the next report, since the engine will be broken in more. I'm also interested to see if the silicon levels go down. If silicon does not go down, that points to an air filtration issue, with dirt entering the engine, which can lead to increased wear numbers. So I wouldn't be too worried about this report right now, but I would do another test to see if some of the numbers go down.

Apexi- probably about 3,500 miles on the engine currently, and it did see a few trips in the week before the oil change where it did not get up to temp. Air filter is subaru OEM that was new with the rebuild. I'll be sure to post another report next oil change.

Archived