LegacyGT.com

Third Brake Caliper

Zerohour

So had front right caliper fail at 222k. Replaced with reman, failed after 500 miles. Replaced with replacement reman. Has started leaking again. Keeps failing at the seal around piston.

Any ideas??? This is an EJ22E without ABS, 57mm single piston caliper.

Remans came with new sliders, and sliders are greased. Brakes normally, no excessive vibration or noise. Rotors and pads have approximately 3k on them.

I replaced both front calipers on my car over the summer and I haven't had any problems. The front passenger side had a sticking piston that was wearing the pads unevenly and I just replaced both along with the caliper bracket (so new slide pins).

I got one from Advanced Auto and the other from Napa (neither had both) and I've put about 5k miles without any issues.

I would suggest trying to get a refund and try another vendor?

Reman calipers are pre-assembled with new seal, piston, and boot. Comes with a reman bracket and new sliding pins/bushing/boots.

I rebuilt the first reman caliper last night and installed. The seal on the rebuild kit was "beefier" and I'm starting to suspect the remans have been sitting in a warehouse for several years. This has left the seal compressed and causing pre-mature failure.

I'll see if the rebuilt, reman holds up.

Just a side note, reman kit was purchased from RockAuto.com.

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to catch up on some of my open/semi-active threads:

Since I always seem to find old threads with no follow up or answers, just wanted to do a quick update. Brake caliper has been fine since the rebuild. I hope i'm not jinxing my luck, but no issues so far!

I rebuilt the first reman caliper last night and installed. The seal on the rebuild kit was "beefier" and I'm starting to suspect the remans have been sitting in a warehouse for several years. This has left the seal compressed and causing pre-mature failure.

Not to be smart with Yeu, but you're knocking Asian quality on an Asian built vehicles. Go find a bow-tie forum to make such comments. Based off my tear down I fully suspect the reman parts, which is an OEM Subaru caliper, to have old seals. I attribute this to age of the second gen Legacy and Advance Auto's inventory practices. As the cars are 20 years old, it is feasible that the reman has been in a parts warehouse for a decade!

The rebuilt reman is still holding together as of this post.

I have yet to replace any OEM calipers on any of my cars... however, when working on other cars, I have replaced many calipers with non OEM parts per owner request and have had to replace the replaced parts on several occasions. Typical POF for OEM has been in excess of 170k and in most instances failure was caused by improper brake change where someone didn't properly lubricate the guide pins and they literally welded themselves to the bracket.

Case in point regarding reman vs oem

Archived