LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket turbo mount to stock TMIC?

Alright so the turbo on my car finally failed @ 206k :lol: (idk if it's ever been replaced). I have an eBay (:eek:) one laying around in my garage so its my best option at this point. The flange on the hot side to the DP bolts right up, but the cool side that bolts up to my stock TMIC does not.

Is there an adapter hose available? (I'm doubtful as there is no room to put anything between stock turbo and TMIC as is)

My question is, is my only option at this point to get an after market TMIC/FMIC if I want to use this non-original turbo? If so, can you guys recommend a decent TMIC/FMIC. I don't have perrin money at this point :dm:

This may be a noob question, but is it possible to run just an air filter off the turbo on our cars?

20150126_154310.thumb.jpg.fdb4c7525d71aa07741cbc51e6665e4d.jpg

thanks for the quick response guys. Under closer inspection I realized that the cool side flange actually comes off the turbo at a different angle. So that adapter like MrTris suggested will do me no good.

Looks like I'm staying stock for now :(

thanks for the quick response guys. Under closer inspection I realized that the cool side flange actually comes off the turbo at a different angle. So that adapter like MrTris suggested will do me no good.

Looks like I'm staying stock for now :(

Probably for the best. eBay + turbo /= success.

LOL MrTris. I may buy a vf52 off craigslist or something. Don't really want to go back stock since I already have it out.

You should opt for the 'or something' and send a PM to JmP6889928, he'll get you set up with a sweet custom VF40. :D

How much does a custom vf40 go for?

Anyone on here have experience rebuilding a turbo? I'm considering buying a vf52 that needs rebuilding, and the housing looks to be in good shape.

I'll be doing some research, but if anyone has some insight for a novice itd be much appreciated. I figure wth....save some money, get a bigger IHI turbo, and learn something new at the same time.

How much does a custom vf40 go for?

Anyone on here have experience rebuilding a turbo? I'm considering buying a vf52 that needs rebuilding, and the housing looks to be in good shape.

I'll be doing some research, but if anyone has some insight for a novice itd be much appreciated. I figure wth....save some money, get a bigger IHI turbo, and learn something new at the same time.

It's not that easy, sport.

Remember, your turbo is spinning at like, 150k rpms. To have it rebuilt properly and to ensure performance and longevity, it needs to be balanced. VSR balancing is just entry-level, here, which would require you to take it to a shop that has the right equipment. JmP sends his custom VF40s out for dual-plane balancing, which is superior to VSR.

If you do it wrong, which, on your first time, you will, you can't expect any savings to cover the cost of tearing down your block to flush out the debris in your oil; or worse, a new shortblock. Plus, you'll have to pay to have a housing re-machined to fit a new wheel. The tolerances are exacting inside all that magic that creates boost and it's not a simple machine. I highly advise against a DIY rebuild.

When it comes to these cars, trying to save a buck will get you fucked. Ask us all how we ended up with build threads that at times populate a good amount of real estate on page 1 of here. If I could go back 5 years I would replace the turbo and pull the banjo bolt filters since that was cheaper than rebuilding and finding an affordable DD to get me by.

Save up and send the turbo it off is the best and cheaper "long run" approach.

Archived