LegacyGT.com

Premature ACT Clutch Failure and Flywheel Damage

taka

Hi all,

I could use some advice on how to proceed with a "rare" problem (as stated by ACT).

2 year ago (30k km), I swapped out the stock bits with a WRX spec Fidanza + HDSS. Last week, the pressure plate decided to fail. For the record: No tracking, Autox and car is tuned on a modest stage 1.

One crimp finger between the diaphragm spring fingers snapped off and lodged itself in the spring assembly. There was no damage to the disk, the PP surface or the FW. It seemed to prevent clutch disengagement intermittently.

ACT will not replace the defective unit under warranty, but has agreed to sell me a discounted replacement (not sure if that's a kit or PP yet, or what that discount would be...). At this point I am not sure I want another. After 30km, the flywheel looked to by littered with minor hot spots, and irregular runout - but interestingly no damage to the PP surface. I will attach a photo of the flywheel.

The clutch was installed perfectly. It was used but, less aggressively than other members of my kin who experience no issues with their flywheels.

Most likely I wish switch to a Clutch Masters FX100/200, but want to understand flywheel heating dynamics more. If I pop in a 200, I am into kevlar disks which...ha...won't deal with heat issues.

Educate me!

Thanks

IMG_20150123_183439.thumb.jpg.c3b9058d8853a6cad02b9e3a65272953.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Archived