LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT Over heating Issue

I purchased this 2005 legacy gt 5MT with 120,000 miles 1 MONTH AGO. Upon taking it home (1 month ago), it started over heating. Previous owner replaced the radiator since it was cracked. Noticed the coolant level was low and made sure to get all the air out of the cooling system as well as putting on new radiator caps (both). Thought that was the problem which did fix it.

There was no more over heating issues up until TONIGHT.

Went on a long drive to Tahoe and on my way back it started over heating. Did this on the side of the road: Noticed coolant levels were full and over-flow was full to the top almost touching the cap. saw bubbles in the over flow as well.

Changed the thermostat, filled coolant. tested, no more over heating. drove about 2 hours home until it finally started to over heat again.

OBSERVATIONS:

-One thing i did notice is that the heater WAS blowing hot air as it was over heating

-Coolant level is not low

-Fans do turn on

-I do see a little bit of bubbles in the over flow

-When the car is cold, coolant over-flow is low, when the car is warmed up, over-flow is full to the top

-I constantly check the coolant since owning this car and have not noticed the coolant looking strange (not gunky or mis color)

-Oil on dipstick looks normal

Hoping one of you Subaru experts can point me to what these symptoms mean. Thank you in advance!

You have a blown head gasket. And you need a new shortblock.

Smell your reservoir. If it smells like exhaust, you've got a leak around the cylinder walls, which is allowing exhaust gasses into the water jacket and forcing coolant out of the block, back into your reservoir, plus air bubbles.

Keep filling from the reservoir to the top tank by the turbo. Ideally, you should have the passenger side of the car jacked up and running while you do this.

I drove around with my car in a similar condition, for over a year. It's not convenient or a long-term solution, but, at least you can technically still drive it.

Avoid freeways, speeds over 60, and boost.

Archived