LegacyGT.com

1995 Legacy EJ22 - Ground Wire Kit

So added two ground wires this weekend. Been experiencing dimming lights and such, so figured I'd give this a try. When it comes to electrical work and the "grounding mods", try at your own risk.

Like many other DIY write ups, I picked up 6 gauge wire from Lowes. Price was $0.58 per foot, 10 feet, $6. Picked up the only 6 gauge connectors locally, from advance auto, 3/8" ring "audio power cable" connectors. All in about $11. For my setup I did have to go get an extra M8x20mm bolt and washers; $17. And I use a piece of wire loom; so $20 all in.

Initial:

My car was testing after driving 35+ miles on about 28°F day. Alternator was 110°F, battery was 60°F, in accordance to the infrared temp gun.

My starter has been replaced (previous owner), ground there is good and clean.

Ground to chassis is good and clean, I have my fogs (non-factory) grounded to this spot. Location is good and clean.

Initial Results:

Idle: 14.2v

Load: 13.8-13.95v (heater, radio, headlights lo-beam, fogs, and rear defroster)

Brake Lights Engaged: 12.88-13.6v

Prelimary Post:

Car is cold, did not use temp gun

Factory grounds remain.

Added symmetrical strut tower (inner washer fluid bolt) to rear engine hoist/loop ground wires. Left and right side, at 24" length each (61cm).

Prelimary Post Results:

Cold, high idle: 14.7

Load: 14.3-14.42v (heater, radio, headlights lo-beam, fogs, and rear defroster)

Brake Lights Engaged: 13.54-13.8v

Impressions and Thoughts:

The voltage drop underload remained 0.2-0.4 volts. The voltage drop under brake light engage also remained ~1 volt. Voltage seemed to have less spike, possibly indicate better voltage control.

However, overall voltage was ~0.4-0.5 volts higher across all tests.

I need to run the motor a distance and repeat. Cold start and heat soaked may be two different results. Resistivity is a function of heat.

I'll keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to catch up on my threads...

So I have not played with the Voltmeter yet. I've been busy with work and we're into the bitter cold of winter. Hopefully with the day's getting longer, I will get some time to give this another go. Results should be intersting now that the wires have been on the car for some miles (at least 500+ already).

Driving opinions are that the car starts and runs the same. It has been so damn cold, we're below zero, that the car has been working hard. Lights still do dim. I've fairly certain it is better than before. I still suspect I'll put in a new alternator this summer. And possible a new power steering pump as well. One or both make some noise, but nearing 225K, they've run plenty of miles!

Archived