LegacyGT.com

slipping clutch/burned flywheel :(

awdG35killer

so 4 weeks ago my clutch astarted having trouble catching in 3rd4th and 5th gear, then after a few days i couldnt accelerate in 1st. so i had suby roadside assistance tow it to dealer. they called 2 days lter(on my bday) and said they have to replace the clutch assembly and flywheel but needed to order it. said my "bad driving" did it. i drive normally and only get on it on the freeway onramp you bastard.

i call two days later and the flywheel is on backorder...for 8 WEEKS!!! then they say they'll just machine the flywheel. wtf!? it was bad enough to replace now they are gonna machine the ruined flywhel? ok fine. i ask for a loaner until they finish but they refuse. i call back 2 days later and they say the dual mass flywheel has too many burn spots to machine so they have to order the flywheel again for the 8 week wait. they agree to give me a 5day loaner for a 60day wait cuz its policy and "oh well". i get pissed so i call SoA.

i explain the situation and by the 5th day a manager took over the case and told me to keep the laoner :) 2 days later i get a call from dealer saying car is ready. WTF!? SoA found a flywheel and overnighted it cuz a flywheel on backorder shouldnt happen.

clutch pedal feels lighter than before but feels great to have my car back :)

moral of story: if the dealer gives u BS, call SoA right away and have your case recorded.

I don't get all these jacked up delare stories. I love my dealer. If the dealre in yoru area sucks, don't give them buisiness. Drive the extra miles to where a reputable dealer is and give them your business. Just my opinion.

By the way. If you live in NorCal Shingle Springs Subaru is awesome. Talk to Bryant or Bobby if you are interested in sales or Tim in parts if you need, well, parts.

They are awesome.

I am also curious about the cost? Was it covered under warranty? I bought a used '05 GT and the clutch has been giving me a bit of trouble (read smoking on hard shifts). I stopped in at the dealer and they said it just overheated but it should be fine. They said I need to drive a little easier. Ive driven a stick for the past 9 year ('89 toyota, '02 VW GTI) and never had this problem. The car had 18000 miles on it when I got her. Maybe the girl I bought it from screwed something up, but before I bought it i had a subie dealer check it out and they said it was fine.

roadside assistance allows free towing to NEAREST dealer so i had no choice.

i bought the car last october so its covered under the wear and tear 1st year warranty although i keep being told that the clutch and flywheel is NOT covered under ANY warranty, subaru covering it was just a "1 time courtesy".

i was without my car for just over 3 weeks. flwheel came in over 2 weeks after taking into dealer, but only a few days after talking to SoA. those ppl were calm and helpful btw. i also talked to them as nicely as possible too so it might have helped. GO subaru! boo dealer!

the only thing that pissed me off was the dealer giving me the run-around. "it'll be in tomorrow morning, fixed by afternoon." i heard that crap every two ddays until he finally said, "there ws a computer error, wrong part, the one for LGT is on National Backorder" they never called me i kept havng to bug them calling every other day for an update. i was ready to just take it to a shop and have an aftermarket one installed out of my own pocket.

anyway its over. at least i know who to talk to for any problems :)

I am also curious about the cost? Was it covered under warranty? I bought a used '05 GT and the clutch has been giving me a bit of trouble (read smoking on hard shifts). I stopped in at the dealer and they said it just overheated but it should be fine. They said I need to drive a little easier. Ive driven a stick for the past 9 year ('89 toyota, '02 VW GTI) and never had this problem. The car had 18000 miles on it when I got her. Maybe the girl I bought it from screwed something up, but before I bought it i had a subie dealer check it out and they said it was fine.

make sure they make note of it in the computer at hte dealer that they say its normal. if they hassle u later call SoA and they take care of it from there :)

LOL.. the flywheel is backordered because they are replacing so many defective assemblies..

You got that right! When I had mine replaced under warranty after months of back and forth with SOA they finally said that there were no flywheels in North America but that a new shipment would be coming in a few days. This was a month ago.

I hope they are working on a new set up or this is only going to get worse as the new WRX has the same engine, 5MT and I would assume the same clutch assembly.

I'm at 11k and ready to change my clutch out, of course I race this thing like a champ.. lol. Slips too much off the line to get anything better than a 1.98 60' now-a-days. :(

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

dude they gave me the same pitch. said it was my "bad driving" and that its a one time only fix under warranty even tho clutch and flywheel is under no warrranty at all.

i dot think this is a coincidence. i think they know and are just trying to cover it without a recall

so whats this problem with the flywheel? is it something I can tell the dealer to check out on my car?

its not just the flywheel. my clutch slipped bad enough that it put big ass burn spots in the dual mass flywheel, which is "hard to machine" i was told.

mine ht 18k miles when it started slipping in higher rpms. like i'd shift from 3rd to 4th on the freway and it wouldnt catch. id have to let go of the accelerator and let the rpms drop low so it could slowly catch.

Archived