LegacyGT.com

steering nibble after alignment

I installed 4 new altimax artic claw tires on sunday and scheduled an alignment and to have them balanced today. I contemplated not having them balanced because for some reason I had zero vibration up to 70mph. I probably have 40 miles on these new tires.

After the alignment and balance at VIP I now have a slight nibble in the steering wheel that you can barely feel and see in the wheel while traveling straight ahead. I can feel the nibble more as I slightly turn the wheel from straight and the more I turn the less I can feel it. It may actually want to drift to the right when I let go of the wheel. Its tough to tell for sure about the right drift as its a fairly short commute home.

The thing that pisses me off is the car tracked straight down the road with your hands off the wheel for a hundred+- miles and not even the slightest amount of vibration or nibble in the steering wheel. $320+- later im driving a POS. (I bought the lifetime alignment $199 + had the ac recharged because a different shop that took 5 weeks do replace a burnt valve didn't do it)

My align specs are

LF camber -.5 RF camber -.7

LF caster 6.1 RF caster 6.2

LF toe .01 RF toe -.02

total toe -.01

steer ahead .02

All of the specs above are within std specs per the print out

LR camber -1.5 RR camber -1.4

LR toe -.04 RR toe .17

total toe .13

thrust angle -.11

The LR camber and RR toe are out of std specs

The adjustment for the LR camber and the RR toe are "maxed" out per the alignment shop.

I think if I call the alignment shop and tell them my issues theyre going to say theres nothing they can do because some of the specs are out of std spec.

Should I be concerned with the items out of spec?

your specs are all off and will contribute to your condition.

give the shop your own custom specs to follow.

- .5 camber up front for both sides!!

-.5 camber on rear for both sides!!

0 toe all the way around

as much + caster as you can dial in

the - toe and + toe are fighting each other up front and in the rear causing your concern!!

I stopped in this am and talked with them about the issues. The alignment tech brought it right in and mentioned one of the front tires they had balanced was off by a half of an ounce. I can only imagine theres wheel weights all over the inside of the rims now. What happened to someone removing all of the weights and rebalancing the tire rather then to add more weights in a different location? He also put it back on the alignment machine and I can only assume he adjusted the toe because now the steering wheel is not straight to about the 2 oclock position...... AND I still have the shimmy in the wheel. WTF! It still drifts but I can live with that. How come it is so hard to get competent techs to work on anything?

Archived