LegacyGT.com

Quick buy trade in question

cwo715

I have a 2009 Legacy 2.5i SE. The car has 89990 miles on it and the clutch just went. I bought it used with 23k miles on it back in January of 2011. I have a rallitek N/A cam, that's it. The clutch install will cost around 2064 bucks, yes it is at the dealer but only because they were the only ones open at the time the noises started happening. I love the car to death, the lines of the 05-09s blow away all other future and previous years.

Would it be wise to do this repair or to trade it in at subaru and get a new WRX?

Not sure how you arrived at your final sentence/question re the wrx. Has your situation changed? Not sure about NJ, but considerations like insurance, stigma, etc. would make a new wrx a difficult switch, personally.

That being said, these n/a motors have a lot of life in them if properly cared for. I would find another reputable shop for a quote, and see if you can negotiate down total cost by bundling other services eg. Timing belt (only if not yet done, of course).

Car opinions are all relative to personal taste. I know of a local, good shop that probably do a clutch for under $1000, so the repair shouldn't be why you want to upgrade. If you like the WRX though, I am very happy with mine, and I'm sure you will be too. But I agree, why the sudden interest? Do you just want moar powa!!!, or do you actually love WRX's and bought the Legacy as a transition car until you could buy a WRX? I personally loved Imprezas and WRXs but settled on my LGT because my wife said the WRX was too small, but now it is about the same size as a 4th gen Legacy, less a little trunk space. That's why I upgraded.

Archived