LegacyGT.com

Outback XT handling

Guest *Jedimaster*

Guest *Jedimaster*
OK- so we all know that the stock tires need to be replaced on our cars. But I'm seeing toom uch body roll on my car. I wonder if there's an easy way to fix this, ie a bigger rear sway bar. I don't want to lower the car or switch springs/ shocks- the car just rides too comfortably to mess with it that way.

[quote name='jedimaster']OK- so we all know that the stock tires need to be replaced on our cars. But I'm seeing toom uch body roll on my car. I wonder if there's an easy way to fix this, ie a bigger rear sway bar. I don't want to lower the car or switch springs/ shocks- the car just rides too comfortably to mess with it that way.[/quote] It does roll, that's for sure. As I said before I was willing to accept the roll in exchange for the higher ground clearance (snow). I must say that I never fee out of control and that all things considered this is a pretty good handling car. One thing I was going to ask was would the strut tower brace listed here help? [url]http://www.subaru.com/microsites/spt/lookupParts.sptaction?command=&year=2005&model=OUTBACK&trim=2.5+XT+WAGON[/url] I checked and it's the same part # as the one available on the GT sedan. Sorry for answering your question with a question.

Guest *Jedimaster*
No, that's cool- it's good to have another XT owner to go back and forth with. I think the brace might help- once they start making them from other companies and the price goes down, I'll get one. I'll also get better tires eventually and the swaybar upgarde as well. I wonder if a Legacy GT wagon swaybar is the same as ours- if so, some of those guys will be swapping their stockers out and maybe we could get them.

Jedimaster: Cool. I think I may be upgrading tires myself. Possibly the Falken 512's or even Michelin sport AS. Problem with the Michelins is that they are VERY expensive. If I remember correctly you came out of a WRX. My former ride was an 01 OB. So, the XT is an improvement over that which was an improvement over my previous two cars (99 Calamity err Camry and a 92 accord). So, my perspective is different. At "lower speeds" (30 to 60) I just keep accelerating and the car evens out nicely. I haven't done that too much at higer speeds yet. I'm past 1,000 miles so I'm reving her and she is REAL nice. The other day I was on the raod with a 330xi. He was willing to go much faster than me on a pretty deserted part of the road. He took off wehn I was at 95 and honestly, I didn't want to go any faster. He was ahead when we got off at the same exit (onto another expressway) and I closed the gap VERY QUICKLY in 4th gear. He got out of my way. :D After he let me pass to take a look he kept trying to pass on the right at speeds of 60 to 85 or so. I kept it 4th gear and he SIMPLY DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER to keep up with me. I was playing with him. Childish, I know, but it was somewhat satisfying.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Man, that sounds like fun! I'm at about 430 miles now, but a good friend of mine asked me to meet him in Connecticut- no problem- gotta get those miles on :twisted:

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm over 630 miles now- this car just gets more and more powerful. In the WRX, it seemed like 2nd gear was an all out power gear- in this car, it seemes to be 3rd.

[quote name='godwhomismike']If Subaru keeps up like this - people will think twice when they see a Subaru. :twisted: - Mike[/quote] One thing I have noticed is that when I'm charging in the left lane.....people get out of my way :D The 330xi did that last week (it was dark so all he could see were my headlights). Let me pass and I pulled into the right lane ahead of him. That's when he insisted on passing again and taking his car over 100 for about a 10 mile stretch.

Archived