LegacyGT.com

Engine block heater

I installed a Subaru engine block heater last summer in my 2005 GT. I have a few questions.

Does this include a thermostat to regulate the temperature of the coolant? If so, at what temperature should it maintain the coolant? I haven't picked up a thermometer to check it with yet.

With outside temps between zero and 20, it still takes several blocks driving for the temperature gauge needle to start to move up from cold.

Thanks.

john

A block heater is not going to warm it up that much. It does not come with a thermostat, it just warms the coolant some and via thermosiphon the coolant moves. It's probably only raising the coolant temp maybe 30f. So the temp gauge on the car is still going to be low when starting. It's only a small helping feature for cold climates. If you want the car warm get a remote start and let the car run for 10 minutes before leaving.

I was going to reply earlier but I couldn't find a solid answer to your question, there doesn't appear to be any sort of temperature regulator with the engine block heater.

I don't have experience with engine block heaters, so what travrach is sayin could be right.

The only things that come to mind if it really seems abnormal, how long do you leave the car plugged in for? Maybe your thermostat is stuck open?

Archived