LegacyGT.com

Blew my motor. Rebuild or buy an STi?

At 160k I finally blew my motor, now she's sitting in my driveway waiting until I decide to sell it or rebuild it. I know the Legacy is unique and definitely bigger and more luxurious. But my girlfriend recently suggested I should look into a blobeye STi. I like the STi and its modding potential but they hold value even better than the legacy, and I would be looking at $13k+ for a blobeye in good condition with what I consider an outdated engine. This would be for a weekend/show car type situation. Thoughts/opinions/random flaming?

How deep are you into your LGT? ie- How much do you still owe, if any?

A Good rebuild should cost you about $7500 by the time you're done, mods depending. This doesn't include things like labor, or tools, or a place to do the rebuild.

That said, for the money, you're getting a practically new car. Anything else is stuff that's technically wear items, and needs to be replaced at some point during the life of the vehicle.

Why spend nearly twice a much for an STi that, as was said, is beat to shit and/or has shitty mods and almost no real maintenance? Plus, over 100k miles! Factor in the insurance cost of The Most Ticketed Car In The Nation and it's a no-brainer: Keep your LGT.

• 1 month later...
Where are you guys getting htis 7.5k figure from. Is that a stock rebuild? Cause a Subaru dealer will rebuild your engine or replace it to stock specs for less than 7500 dollars. You can also buy remanufactured engines for 3k.

Brand new shortblock is 1695 +175 for shipping. Why would you buy a used block for nearly twice that?

$7.5k is crack pipe pricing. You can get almost two rebuilt motors (ok, maybe 1.5) re-built and installed by reputable shops in SoCal for that.

I killed my engine and transmission at the same time, got them rebuilt and added a front LSD for basically that.

Archived