LegacyGT.com

Someone give me a suspension lesson

05legacysp

I have a set of epic springs for my 09 legacy drops it roughly an inch to inch and half its my dd and performance and handling wise is excellent I take turns a tad over the posted speed and I have no sway or that spongey felling you sometimes get I'd deff recommend the epic springs to anyone

I have Eibach springs with Koni Struts, Whiteline swaybars, Kartboy Solid Endlinks, and the Whiteline roll-center/bump steer kit with Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires.

It is a very comfortable set-up...but it is an outstanding handling/performance upgrade. It's very flat in the turns, bumps don't hurt, but you feel the road very well.

I run the Conti's at 38 psi as they are kinda squishy at 33-35 psi. They have over 30K miles on them and have maintained very even tread-ware.

This sticky helped me out quite a bit when I had the same questions:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mach-v-dans-mega-suspension-guide-5941.html

I literally JUST put on a rear sway bar and end links. 20mm Whiteline rear swaybar and AVO solid rear links. Huge difference in body roll. Love it.

I definitely recommend them as a great first upgrade. As many others will say, "best bang for the buck". Sway bars run around 125-200 each and aftermarket endlinks are about 100 per set.

A few months ago I upgraded the front endlinks, which was also a noticeable improvement. Those are also solid type(non-adjustable). I am still using the oem front sway bar thou.

A lot of it is personal preference, and a lot of it is skill. These cars handle plenty fine at speed and in the right (read: trained) hands. Before you go and drop money on a new suspension setup, go take a driver's skills day course and get a feel for how the car handles, stock. Its really quite nice when you're going fast enough, I promise!

That said, to answer your questions, a good set of coilovers should run you about 2k, or more. However, an okay set that's corner balanced will be superior to that 2k setup every day of the week. Just like doing a motor build, you can go broke, or very deep into debt doing a suspension build, too. Replacing bushings, bars, end links, braces, etc, can all add up to well over 8k if done right.

But again, and I can't stress this enough: You are what makes you fast and handle well, not the parts on your car.

Consider the roads u drive, coilovers can be harsh on roads that have potholes, bumps, etc.

I have bilstien hd's with cobb springs, cusco pillowball uppermounts.

Upgraded sways, endlinks,and mounts. Along with various bushing upgrades

And this is by far my favorite car ive ever had!!

As happy as i am w my setup tho, i feel like i made some mistakes, not realizing just how bad my roads are ( philadelphia streets dept. is a joke!) such a stiff setup isnt always rite for you...

Consider the roads u drive, coilovers can be harsh on roads that have potholes, bumps, etc.

I have bilstien hd's with cobb springs, cusco pillowball uppermounts.

Upgraded sways, endlinks,and mounts. Along with various bushing upgrades

And this is by far my favorite car ive ever had!!

As happy as i am w my setup tho, i feel like i made some mistakes, not realizing just how bad my roads are ( philadelphia streets dept. is a joke!) such a stiff setup isnt always rite for you...

This is a very good point as well! There's a reason cars don't come stock with coilovers. .

So i actually just cracked my stock radiator, which i honestly believe is due in part to my stiff setup, i never realized just how much vibration would be transfered to the rest of the car. Im not too tho upset cause it just gives me a reason to install my sweet new mishimoto alum. Rad. I would also consider warranty , whatever bits and parts you upgrade, keep in mind these are maintenence items that might need to be replaced from time to time, for instance my bilstiens come w a lifetime one, thru tire rack. Ive replaced 3 so far . In less than 100k .

Technically there's no difference between a macpherson strut and a coilover by definition. Coilover means coil spring over shock (or strut), but people commonly refer to the name coilover to point to something in the aftermarket...usually something crappy.

Shitty coilovers ride like shit. (under $1600 brand new)

Good coilovers can ride better than stock.

OP you didn't mention your budget.

$1600 or under? where you get that figure?

Fortune Auto coils are awesome, I have them on both my DD and track car, well under $1600 price range

The better question is how do you know they're awesome? Did you put your set on a shock dyno? Did you test the adjusters to see if they adjust linearly or is there a lot of cross talk? Who makes the springs? Did you test the springs for linearity?

Why $1600? Bc right around $1600 is where one can put together an adjustable coilover package using off the shelf Koni Yellow inserts, which is the entry into the performance shock world. Bilsteins are a very good option as well, but there's no off the shelf adjustable Bilstein shock for the LGT. Bilsteins can be made to adjust though, and quite frankly this is a really good option. Bilsteins are some of the best out there, until you step up to Penske or Ohlins.

Budget isn't a huge deal within reason. If I do it I'll do it well. It's less a question of how much as it is how long will I have to save to buy it. That said, if I can get a decent set of alloy wheels I'm not gonna spend $15k on carbon fiber wheels. So there's a ceiling. Nothing dramatic or exotic.

What do you think of tein? I like their fancy automatic damper adjustment system... Thoigh I suspect it's all hype.

I'm still dreaming of what I can only imagine is a $10k+ suspension system that's fully integrated into the car's electronics, plus extra sensors, that will adjust damping and ride control similar to something one might find in a Maser.

Best bang-for-buck: new Whiteline bushings and [anti]sway bars

Second best bang-for-buck: tires.

Don't get coilovers unless you're racing the car. They aren't an install-and-forget system. You have to get them rebuilt every 30k (?) miles depending on the brand and use. They have to be dressed properly for winter or the salt will take its toll.

Koni Yellow strut inserts + good spring will do laps around the OEM suspension, but your car will only feel like it handles better (it won't roll as much). Koni + Eibach (Epic) will be a great setup. Add new top hats all around (you can reuse the dust boots and conical washers and other fastener hardware to save about $100). But do get new front spring perches and top hats on all four corners or have "the squeaks".

There is now a full Koni set if I recall correctly. You can wait for the yearly Koni sale in February/March/April - about 20+% off.

Sounds like koni and springs are the way to go. Any special considerations since in working on a 2.5i not a gt?

Nope. Suspensions bolt up the same.

As far as springs go any opinion on the pinks?

I can't comment on Pinks, but I can tell you that Tein S-Techs are too low and incredibly harsh and the Tein H-Techs are a bit stiffer than stock and a bit lower than stock, but overall not stiff enough.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lowering-springs-recommendations-suggestions-please-111909.html

Archived