LegacyGT.com

hankooks or general tires???

T_Altland27

Ok so I need to get new tires I'm going with 225/45/17 my old tires were 205/50/17 so the new ones will give me a little bit more traction with them being a little wider. So I have it down to two tire brands that I'm choosing between the first being hankooks ventus s1 noble2 and the other tire being the general g max as-03 both tires are about the same in price and are both all season performance tires what would everyone else pick?

I just got some Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 in 225/40/17 for my '92 Legacy SS and I love them. We don't really get much winter weather here and they are definitely adequate in the rain we get, but no ice and snow ....EVER. This is my first time trying Hankook and I am very impressed for the performance and build quality they offer in the price range.

Tirerack did a direct comparison - Looks like the Hankooks did better on dry surfaces and were quieter, but the Generals were better for wet surfaces (specifically for cornering and braking) - given your location, I'd lean towards the generals.

I have 11 sets of wheels w/ different tires for our 3 subies , I am not really an all season guy , more of a summers for summer and winters for winter but recently I tried a set of cooper zeon rs3-a from discount tire direct in 225/45/17.

I am impressed , very impressed (very not easy to do), these are in another universe better than the dws I have in same size on another set of rims and way better than the yoko a/s I had 3-4 years ago

by better I mean every aspect of tire performance , every

turned a couple of other peeps on to em and they like too

local tire shop I had them mounted at said every set they have sold have been a hit

cheap too!

I ran those hankooks for around 25k (I think?) and really had no complaints about them, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. The only complaints I might have is that I was down to around 6/32" after 25k, which isn't that bad in my opinion.

I was also going to say some might say the sidewalls are a little soft, but I can't say for sure. I ran them at around 35-36psi which felt pretty good, better handling than at 32psi or so. I replaced a lot of suspension components in the fall though and I haven't run the hankooks since then. So it might've been my worn suspension parts that made it seem like the sidewalls were soft, becauase I noticed a substantial improvement in handling even with my snow tires.

Tirerack did a direct comparison - Looks like the Hankooks did better on dry surfaces and were quieter, but the Generals were better for wet surfaces (specifically for cornering and braking) - given your location, I'd lean towards the generals.

Yea I was sorta leaning towards the generals

So it's always hard with reviews - take ConsumerReports for example - and look at the ContiExtremeContact DWS - everyone on tire rack, here, and other locations rave about its snow performance, but in the CR review, it scored a black dot (poor) for snow performance (they test by accelerating from 5-20 mph in snow, which is an odd way to look at snow performance - I'd want to see cornering/skid pad and braking... I am not generally worried about straight line acceleration in the snow!

For the Hankooks, Generals, and Coopers, the three tires all scored about the same, but in their test the Hankooks did better in the wet than the Generals (braking and handling), and the generals didn't do well in ice braking (slowing from 10-0) - so it's probably splitting hairs between the three.

It is not stupid test, just limited. Some tires spin more and some less. If tire A takes 5 sec to get to the speed and tire B takes 10 sec, guess which one has better traction.

The problem is that this test does not measure any lateral snow traction.

DWS got black dot but the topic got raised a few times on CR message board.

They retested tires and they got much better results. It seems Continental plays with compound without telling anybody.

You may get great or not so great tire.

Krzyś

Archived