LegacyGT.com

New owner here

Hey guys just saying hello, I picked up this 98 Gt 5-speed wagon the first week of November 2014.

I live in NY and I was looking for a second car to park my e36 until warmer weather, I was always in love with the second generation legacys and I was looking for "the right one" well after seeing 5 of them this was the cleanest out of the bunch that seemed to have been well taken care of and had no symptoms at all of needing a headgasket replacement.

After a 200 mile trip back home that she did very well I might add, I would regularly pop the hood to make sure everything was in order, a few weeks in I start to notice the overflow tank filling up and the tenp rising here and there.

Swapped the thermostat out and the rad cap and it became a little better but I know I'll be pulling the motor out in a few months to do the headgaskets, clutch, and tming belt. I already have all the parts just need the time.

A few things the car does need that I have noticed are some control arms and bushings as there is the occasional knock over hard bumps. Also the shifter has no idea where neutral is as it flops back and forth between the gate for 1-2 and 3-4 very easily, but no grinds or popping out of gear at all. One thing that has been bothering me is the stock manifolds have some cracks as I have exhaust leaks where I get fumes in the car and ive noticed some water on tbe passenger side floor when heavy rainfall occurs.

It does have wrx suspension on it and I did get the windows tinted because harsh sun bothers my eyes. And the previous owner had some fartcan on it extending out past the bumper that I cut and welded to tuck it nicely.

My plans are to refresh the motor and suspension the spring time and while im in there put an intake on it with some catless UEL headers, and a short shifter when I fix the shifter slop.

Its a great daily with alot of room ive grown quite fond of this car and I look forward to many great years of ownership. :)

When I picked it up and brought it home

15520051907_5ee77dd6e1_b.jpg

15681524286_e711b9f30b_b.jpg

15706829772_c1da146fc0_b.jpg

15706828972_776a415353_b.jpg

15705245755_e8cf9fbe59_b.jpg

Putting my e36 away

15520416420_c2f736f91a_b.jpg

After the tints and the lowering springs in the front (and rolling the fenders)

15857809350_7d755a778c_b.jpg

And today was the first snow!

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/06/da226ab332255ddf7f11546732d9aef1.jpg

Sorry for the long post guys.

-Frank

Welcome to the site! Nice looking wagon. All you need to do is get some JDM projectors so you can see at night! ;)

Thanks man, yea I would love to pick up a set after I do the headgaskets, its a big change going from hid projectors from my e36 to these halogens, I can barely see at night

sent from merica using f yeah!

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the shifter being loose, you need a return to centre spring (part number 33022ga081). Those rust and fall off pretty quickly. Jack the car up and use some needle nose pliers to get on. Takes about 5-10 minutes depending on how strong you are. Don't forget eye protection! Here is a thread with photos:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/98-gt-shifter-spring-issuei-217809.html?t=217809

• 1 month later...
As far as the shifter being loose, you need a return to centre spring (part number 33022ga081). Those rust and fall off pretty quickly. Jack the car up and use some needle nose pliers to get on. Takes about 5-10 minutes depending on how strong you are. Don't forget eye protection! Here is a thread with photos:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/98-gt-shifter-spring-issuei-217809.html?t=217809

Thanks for the help man.

I ordered the keyless entry remote but it wouldn't be able to get programmed, after some searching i looked for the module or the plug for the module under the kick panel, neither of which are there.

Any insight guys?

Archived