LegacyGT.com

ABS Frustration

95 Legacy 2.2L Automatic Sedan.

Sometimes the abs system will activate on dry pavement under normal/mild braking conditions with no abs light and absolutely no reason to activate.

Sometimes when driving at speed (30-60 mph) and the brakes are lightly applied to slow down a bit the abs light will come on. sometimes it will go out on it's own and sometimes it will go out on a restart.

I have tried pulling codes on the abs system but only get the all system normal code.

This is my daughter's college car that she drives back and forth over a major pass to come home. I would really prefer she have functioning abs and not pull the fuse to disable it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

i would check to see if one of the sensors is damaged or dirty.

sometime rust particles will stick to them since they are magnetic.

it doesn't happen in hard braking?

it is possible that a bad wheel bearing allows the tone ring to rub on the sensor.

but i would think there would be other indicators of a bad wheel bearing, like noise or a wha wha sound.

maybe louder when turning one way.

John, you mention a wha wha sound, I get that at a real low frequency from 40 to 50 mph so low that some people who dont know what to listen for cant pick it up.

Also, I have had a steady abs light since I put this thing back on the road a couple months ago an havent had time to have someone plug into it and pull the codes.

I'm a bit old school and don't care for antilock brakes in the first place.

I'm a bit old school and don't care for antilock brakes in the first place.
abs brakes have only one purpose,

prevent the brakes from locking up so you can steer when braking hard or in a panic .

if you were driving the car i would say just pull the ABS fuse.

but since your daughter is, i do not recommend that.

you cannot read the ABS codes with a code reader,

well a dealer can with the subaru special tool.

but you can ''flash'' the code yourself.

do a search for "readingtranscodes" or "how* to read ABS* codes" or something similar.

the procedures are very similar and find one will lieky give you the other.

there is a black 6 pin ''diagnostic'' connector under the dash, right of the steering column.

all of the pins will display trouble codes for a specific system, trans, ABS, SRS (air bag) etc.

not all positions will have a pin,

and i don't know which is ABS,

but you can't mes up.

they are all diagnostic.

included in the harness are 2 ''grounding'' wires that will connect to the pins in the connector.

look for them, they may be taped up if never used.

i think car off key on to flash codes.

maybe foot on brake.

good luck.

I agree, if it were just me I would disable it but this is my 18 year old college freshman daughter that chose an amazing school that happens to be a mountain pass away so I really would like to solve this.

I did the two pin flash the code on the six hole harness and only got the code for all systems normal. I definitely know what a wheel bearing problem symptoms is and I do not have that going on. Yes, I does seem to work correctly when braking hard. It's the activation's when it shouldn't that concerns me. I was driving the car two days ago and almost rear ended someone when coming to an easy stop at a stop light...the system activated and released the brakes so no stopping but also no warning light indicating a problem.

Will the reader the dealer or high end mechanic has travel with the car and detect what is causing the abs system to activate?

Will the reader the dealer or high end mechanic has travel with the car and detect what is causing the abs system to activate?
a subaru dealer should be able to read the codes with their ''select monitor'' tool.

but i don't know if there would be anything to read if the light is off.

i have no experience with them or the tool.

Archived