LegacyGT.com

Misfire, possible culprit?

So I have had a misfire on #4 cylinder for a while and sometimes on #2 cylinder. I've done the intake o rings no real difference. I did a compression test and was at 135 on all cylinders and I only lose a quart of oil every like 3/4 of a quart of oil every 3000 miles. I've changed the spark plugs with ngk platinums and swapped coil packs and the misfire stayed on #4. Checked for vacuum leaks and found none. The only thing left was the injectors. I unplugged the #4 injector and nothing happened, I then unplugged #2s injector and it definitely effected it. So my question is should I replace the injector or should I do on the car cleaning?

• 2 weeks later...
Ended up doing another compression test. Ends up #4 has 45. I am kind of at a loss right now. I leave for Germany in March so the car will be parked at my dads for 4 years. I can't really afford to pay for any repairs because I PCS soon and all my money goes to my savings account.

Ended up doing another compression test. Ends up #4 has 45. I am kind of at a loss right now. I leave for Germany in March so the car will be parked at my dads for 4 years. I can't really afford to pay for any repairs because I PCS soon and all my money goes to my savings account.

Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing that you need a new shortblock. Either sell it at a loss, or park for awhile and figure out what you wanna do with it..

I came up with a game plan. After reading build threads and getting pumped, I am going to keep the car run it until I PCS to Germany. Use my college tuition the air force gives to take classes on automotive repair. Come back and just start scratch with a freshly built engine. I feel fully confident of mechanic abilities. I am aircraft mechanic for the air force and I have worked on all my car since I was 16. I just need knowledge haha.

I came up with a game plan. After reading build threads and getting pumped, I am going to keep the car run it until I PCS to Germany. Use my college tuition the air force gives to take classes on automotive repair. Come back and just start scratch with a freshly built engine. I feel fully confident of mechanic abilities. I am aircraft mechanic for the air force and I have worked on all my car since I was 16. I just need knowledge haha.

Honestly unless you are taking Subaru specific classes the knowledge you need is on this forum. Not in general courses on automotive repair. You probably know the basics well enough from being an aircraft mechanic - just don't assume this is how we do it on an airplane so this is probably how we do it on a car.

Hammerdown and Tris's build threads are very good at outlining what needs to be done. Grab the service manual and post here when you run into problems.

Aircraft engines have similar properties as a regular engine but completely different layout. But thanks. Tris's build is the one I have been overlooking the most

It's real easy. If you can snag a copy of the FSM, and bounce back and forth between that and here, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to figure it out, especially if you wrench for a living.

Archived