LegacyGT.com

Modern UHP all seasons - thoughts/opinions?

DrD123

Well - it's tire time, and I am going with all seasons (yes, I absolutely realize that dedicated summers/winter tires are better at each season, but I am not going to have two sets of wheels) - been looking at 4 tires based on the test results/reviews on TireRack - namely the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric A/S, the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus, and the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S - curious if anyone has one of these and could offer their thoughts. Particularly interested in the latter 2 as the Pirelli posted great test results, and the Yokohama is inexpensive compared to the other three (about $125/tire vs. $160-180/tire)

I ran the Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S on my '06 LGT for a while...great dry and wet tire....terrible in wet snow,slush or icy roads....I have always seen Michelin Pilot Sport A/S as the best...have them on my 3.6R ....BUT still go to dedicated snows at this time of year.....Nokian WR G3 this time.

Good luck with your search.

Yeah - the pilot sports definitely seem to be top dog, performance-wise, but Michelins tend to start to crack/dry rot earlier than other tires. If I were someplace that gets more than occasional light snow, I'd consider snow tires for winter, but we maybe get one or two storms a year that amount to 4 or 5 inches, with the rest being an inch or less - roads never get bad. I had the Pzero nero M+S on my 02 WRX for a while and really liked them - the P zero all season plus is their new UHP all season, and test data from the tire rack shows it to be a really, really good tire (certainly outperformed the Continental, but wasn't run in a comparison with the pilot sport a/s 3.)

• 2 weeks later...
Well - decided to go with the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus tires - they did really well in tests on tirerack.com, and Discount tire gave me them for $18 cheaper per tire than TireRack - I was pretty happy with that! - they had to order them from Pirelli so it took a few days, but got them installed this morning. They actually have a 50k treadwear warranty and are rated at treadwear 500, traction AA, and temperature A, so we'll have to see how they do!

Archived