LegacyGT.com

2005 5EAT grinding

Hello all, I've had this grinding that seems to be coming from the front passenger side since i bought the car 4 months ago but it has progressively gotten worse. It only does it under acceleration at very low speeds and when its very cold. Does anybody know what this could be? 2005 5EAT SPT exhaust, VF-52 turbo and intake done.

Here is the link to the video of the noise

Thanks in advance

I couldn't really hear the noise all that well on your video- could be my issue- but typically low speed popping/grinding noise would be CV- and passenger side one is most notorious due to how close it is to the downpipe (hot/cold cycles wears out the rubber). Inspect your CV boot for tears/leaks- if it's already popping you will more than likely need to replace.

Heat shield will more than likely still make noise when in idle- might not until under load, but might be worth the effort to see if you can hear it under the hood while parked with slight revs (no more than about 2500 rpms, maybe up to 3k). This will let you see if you can track it down under the hood.

Is there a modified downpipe with your new turbo? Are you custom tuned for that turbo?

Means you need to get a new wheel bearing- the current bearings have worn away enough to cause a large gap- when cold, the grease has not expanded enough to fill the gap, causing noise. When you have driven enough to heat up the wheel bearings, the grease expands enough fill the gaps.

Only fix is replacement- which is another common issue with these cars.

Usually the noise means it's bad- period.

Some people go quite awhile on bad bearings, but the longer you go, the more likely damage to the hub assembly- increasing your chances of needing to replace the hub assembly as well as the bearing.

Check the Walkthrough section here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-wheel-bearing-diy-walkthrough-86994.html

Long story short as far as consequences go- the wheel bearing can and will seize over time; at high temperature, such as from freeway speeds, wheel bearings have been known to weld themselves to the hub. I'll leave you to your imagination as to what can happen at high speed when that eventually takes place.

These cars eat wheel bearings, that's the cold hard fact.There are many threads about what to use to replace them, see the IDEA sticky.

What happened with the cooling problem? Did you get the head gasket repaired, or is it still band-aided along?

Wheel bearings, head gasket. . . have you resigned yourselves to the fact that this is not an ideal ride for a college student with no real budget for car maintenance and repairs? (Not including insurance, expensive gas, etc..) At the rate you're going, it's either going to be practically brand new by the time it gets passed down to you, or, it'll be dead in the driveway, gathering moss and rusting away..

Have you turned the car back and forth while driving in say a parking lot? Reason I ask is that is how you can determine if and which bearing is bad. When you turn side to side while driving slowly you will load and unload weight onto the bearings which will tell you which side is the bad bearing. When the weight of the car transfers on the bad bearing it will howl loudly and when unloaded it will quiet down.

New head gaskets, new short block, rear wheel bearing going as well as front control arms, and front left sway bar. Also needs new front rims because the ones on there right now are deformed (slightly square) from potholes and hard driving I'd assume. Once new rims are on the other problems won't need to be dealt with for some time. Fun.

Archived