LegacyGT.com

Legacy BD 2.2 low budget exhaust mod

Freerider

Hi,

I just bought my first Subaru a month ago and I´m looking for ways to make it even cooler. The car is a 1997 Legacy GX 2.2 sedan with manual transmission.

The car seems too quiet for my taste and would like get more exhaust sound to it. Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to make it super loud either but just to get that nice boxer note.

I did some web seaching trying to find topics about exhaust mods on a budget (second hand mufflers) but could not really find enough info. I would like to change just the muffler because that should be a fairly simple task to do and easily modified back if I don’t like the sound. I know that even better sound would require the use of UEL headers. But that’s just too much work. Are there any mufflers out there in other Subaru models that could be used in my Legacy just in a “bolt-on” manner? Is the diameter of the stock exhaust system 2"?

I found three promising second hand mufflers that would be in my price range

1) 1gen impreza wrx sti muffler, JASMA 3" inlet and 4" outlet. This would be bargain, but I suppose it requires some piping reducers to make it fit. And could be very loud.

2) A stock 1 or 2 gen impreza wrx sti muffler - would this be a bolt-on muffler for legacy?

3) A 2gen GT-B legacy wagon muffler? Any louder than the EJ22 stock?

Does any of the above mufflers fit? If not what would you recommend (other than drilling holes to my stock muffler)?

Archived