LegacyGT.com

Mass and Surrounding: Help with uppipe install

Pedestrian

I know nothing about it, and probably can't help much, but if you wouldn't mind, i'd like to come learn. I can help out with supplying food tho =)

Where in Waltham do you work? I havent seen any other modded GTs rolling around here.

Where in Waltham do you work? I havent seen any other modded GTs rolling around here.

I work on Main Street across the street from Pizza Express and the Ford dealership. I drive an ABP GT wagon. Right now I am stock except the Cobb STS, but I do have some more mods planned (ie cat back, Cobb DP, UP, springs, rear sway bar), but I have to wait for the finances to work out.

Just some advice here.. Definately get the correct tools for the job. It will save you time and frustration. Ramps also make the job easier and safer. A good penetrating oil like PB Blaster should be your best friend. I also suggest printing any instructions/walkthroughs found on this web site. We did 2 UP/DP installs in 1 day so its not that bad. :)

I think the 24th sounds ideal at this point, so that is what we should aim for. I do not have a garage here, just a parking lot, so if anyone knows a garage that could be rented in the area, or if anyone is willing to provide, that would be awesome. I have already ordered and received all the necessary gaskets, and I will buy some other little tidbits as needed. If anyone that is coming on this date has any of the specialty tools need, please let me know, so I wont have to buy any. All the members here are so great and accomodating, one of the benefits of being part of a suby organization. Im proud to be part of it!!

Hello all, I have just recently purchased an uppipe for my GT, and have found that local shops are charging in the $250 range for installation, which is a little steep in my book. Does anyone here know of any New England shops that will cut a good deal on uppipe install? And if not, I am going to probably do it myself, but it would behoove me to have a little help from some more experienced members. If there are any members that would like to help me out on an upcoming weekend, I am more than willing to provide food and beverage for the day. I am located in Waltham, Mass. I would appreciate any help. If not, Ill just have to bite the bullet on the install price.

Thanks,

Ben

What local shops did you go to? Did you happen to go to Eastside Performance in Waltham? They are across the street from where I work, and I wondering what their reputation is.

Alrighty guys, time to bump this thread again. I think everything is all set for us to go on Saturday. If I am feeling saucy, I may try the install tomorrow afternoon. I helped someone out doing their uppipe the other day, and I realized it is not that difficult, just time consuming. The only tools that I need that I dont have are a jack/jackstands (or drive on ramp), and an o2 bung removal adapter peice. If anyone is up for stopping by tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon/evening, or is willing to provide a nice lighted garage/driveway (all I have is parking lot), then I may go ahead and try, but if not, I think I will still go for Saturday. Let me know what you guys think. Also, if you have either of these tools I need, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben

Pedestrian,

Call your local AutoZone and Advance Auto to see if they loan out jack & jackstands and/or ramps.

The "O2 thingie" :) is a "Compact 22mm Offset O2 wrench/socket" - and should easily be had at your local AutoZone or Advance Auto for around $10. This is a worthy tool investment. :) Just be sure that you do have a ratchet drive that matches the drive size of this socket!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Alrighty guys, time to bump this thread again. I think everything is all set for us to go on Saturday. If I am feeling saucy, I may try the install tomorrow afternoon. I helped someone out doing their uppipe the other day, and I realized it is not that difficult, just time consuming. The only tools that I need that I dont have are a jack/jackstands (or drive on ramp), and an o2 bung removal adapter peice. If anyone is up for stopping by tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon/evening, or is willing to provide a nice lighted garage/driveway (all I have is parking lot), then I may go ahead and try, but if not, I think I will still go for Saturday. Let me know what you guys think. Also, if you have either of these tools I need, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben

Where and when on Sat is this taking place? I have no install knowledge, but I have ramps. It would be cool to hang out with some GT owners other than myself.

Well, I decided to give it a try on my own, and I am happy to say it was a success!! Despite a few minor setbacks during the instal, and little blood here and there :), it went in fairly smooth and easily, and the car feels great! I would like to go ahead and thank everyone who had offered their time and effort to help me. I really was looking forward to meeting some of the guys around here. Maybe we should all get a little meet going in the Boston area, anyone like this idea?

I would have, but there were a few things that were against me: :)

1. I have no camera

2. I did the majority of it at night in a non-lighted parking lot with a flahslight, thus making the quality of engine bay shots pretty cruddy

3. I did the entire thing alone, and really didnt want to take the time to document every step of the way.

Once youve seen one, ehh, youve seen them all :) But thanks again guys for all the offers to help, this was a great learning experience for me!

Congrats! :D

Enjoy your newfound spool!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived