LegacyGT.com

Looking for an experienced mechanic Boston area

comradmax

Hi, I have collected car issues that are building up to a major breakdown. I would like to find someone in the Boston area, i'm in Malden now, who could diagnose LGT properly. The current state of the car is that it can drive out of my parking lot, but I fear it would not come back on its own power, so it would be great if the mechanic could come by here first.

I want to keep this thread short, because otherwise I can go on about details forever:

- Loud knocking from the engine related only to the RPM, happens at 2000rpm. Can be replicated when car is standing, also happens when engine breaking around 2k rpm.

- P0301 code. Started getting these once every 6mo 2 years ago, now always get CEL and this code when driving. Coil packs for cylinder 1 and 3 are in poor shape, have replacement parts on hand.

- Squeaking from rear suspension, driver side wheel, happens when going over speed bumps. Related to weather, humidity and temperature. Sometimes worse, sometimes almost not there.

These are the 3 major areas that have problems. Knocking could be a really bad sign if it's coming from the crank bearings. This seems very likely since i've been driving on that misfire for 2 years now. I really want this to turn out to be an idler pulley, timing belt, main bearing, or anything else:)

Car has nearly 100k original miles, have various minor mods, AP stg2, uppie, DP, WRX flywheel with ACT clutch.

Please reach out to me over PM or in this thread if you want to take on this project overhaul:)

So, there's already a bunch of shop recommendation threads for this regional forum. Here's one that's currently just 10 threads below the one you created: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/shop-recommendation-mai-somebody-wants-help-me-diagnosei-230447.html

There's also two threads from shops advertising their services on the first page of the subforum:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-vendor-here-o-motive-auto-works-188889.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wrench-hire-rick-underdog-motorsports-199289.html

I mention this because every thread looking for a Mass shop boils down to the following:

"Hey, Motive in Woburn is great! Alberto roxorz!"

"Underdog Motorsports in Ayer really helped me out! Rick is the man!"

I'd probably give either of those guys a call and explain your situation in more detail.

Went to Motive. He's going to email me back with an estimate to pull the engine and take a better look. Thanks for the recommendations, and the forums also speak highly of them.

PS. The car actually drove on I-93 on its own, and made it to the shop. Alberto let me leave it there, no way I wanted to drive on that any more.

• 6 months later...

This is an update on the car. In dec last year I went to Motive, and they did a diagnostic on the knocking noise. Alberto did not know what it was, but suggested we start by pulling the engine and go from there. I did not want to get that deep into engine repair, so I drove the car back home. He did me a great service by soldering on new coil pack harness connectors, which had melted.

The car sat for 6mo, then I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAxiFJ2rHBE. I replaced the timing belt, all 4 idlers, the hydraulic tensioner, and water pump with thermostat. This was the source of the knocking noise, the same as in the video. All the idler pulleys were rattling, and felt like they had sand in the bearings. They also had enough play you can feel by hand.

I just passed MA state inspection today, even with my HIDs. The car still pops a P0301 code, but luckily it did not happen during the test. I plan on selling the car, if anyone is interested.

Archived