LegacyGT.com

Stumped

I'm a new owner hailing from BMW lands, can you Subaru gurus help me? I'm at a bit of a loss, was driving my newly acquired 96 Legacy Wagon I did a bit of a pull from 1-3rd nothing crazy 4k-ish shifts was running smoothly went down through the gears and coasted to a stop in second. once it had slowed to a stop, the car stalled. with no luck of refiring since. I've checked/have spark, air and fuel. cleaned the cam and crank sensors the timing belt isn't snapped I tried cleaning the IACV (no idea if ive done it right or not) Ive heard the engine coolant temp sensors are known to keep these cars down. I know I have a EJ2.2 it cranks strong some notable things are, from what ive been told, the fuel pump is supposed to be similar to that of a firehose and I have maybe a mildly running tap. and I have spark but it is significantly weaker that ive seen. now being that I have all these things I don't know if I need to replace something or if I am missing the elephant in the engine bay......

Much appreciated and thanks in advance, ill try and get some pictures up of it soon

I suppose it could be your fuel pump. Did you check your fuel pressure with a gauge or just look at the flow visually. My fuel pump on my SS went out @ 168k but it was still running, just not very well. That's probably what I would replace first. I replaced it with a Walbro 255lph: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EPQM10/?tag=viglink20901-20]Amazon.com: Walbro GSS341-400-791 With Install Kit Fuel Pumps: Automotive[/ame]

Another possibility is your timing belt jumped so I would check and make sure it is lined up right.

There it is.

Might as well replace the water pump, idlers and TB while you're in there. Also check to make sure your oil pump isn't leaking as well. Easy fix - typically no need to replace this unless there's scarring or pitting in the pump frame or on the rotors.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived